Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Happy

I wish I could bottle up last night, put it on a shelf and save it for a day next February when I’ve forgotten what blue sky looks like. Last night is why people live in Seattle. It’s what makes all that rain worthwhile.
Adam had a meeting late enough that he’d miss his usual train and the next train wouldn’t leave until over an hour after his meeting. He’d get home about the kids’ bedtime. I decided to go pick him up. We didn’t get home any earlier but we were together.

We had dinner then walked along the waterfront towards the sculpture park. Adam and the boys watched a seal while Emma and I lagged behind and she told me about The Golden River, a story she’s writing. We watched jellyfish in their graceful dance of rising and falling in the water. We saw ferries and sailboats and birds and a glorious sky. Between the water, sky and near and distant mountains, there were too many shades of blue to count. It was just beautiful.

We puzzled over some of the abstract sculptures then read their descriptions on the little plaques. Oh, OK, I guess that’s an eagle. I explained to Emma what a typewriter eraser is (there’s a sculpture of one). First I had to explain what a typewriter is.

We made our way to the small beach and threw rocks in the water. The kids scrambled up rocks and Adam and I sat on a huge log and I called over to Mark to be careful. I think it’s one of the main things he hears me say. It was perfect. The weather was the perfect temperature. Everyone was comfortable…me in my sweatshirt and everyone else in the family happily in t-shirts.
On our way back we walked along the lower side of the park and none of the kids could resist the steep grassy hill. They charged up it and rolled down it until they were dizzy. Well, except Mark, he didn’t really get the rolling concept and mostly just hurled himself down the hill.

(Be careful, Mark.)

1 comment:

ann cannon said...

I feel like I'm there! What a beautiful description of your piece of the world.

Best wishes,

Ann Cannon

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails