Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens

Back before I used to subject my long-suffering family to tangential and extensive emails, I used to write in a journal. In the inside cover of my journal, I wrote the following quote by Nancy Mair: I will write myself into well being. Well, I need some of that today.

I am grumpy. I think I'm grumpy because I'm tired of hearing the whining and complaining coming from...me. So why am I complaining? Is it that my desk is buried under the detritus of weeks? Is it that I have laundry to fold and dishes to wash and I’m not doing them? Is it that I have too much to do and I am not doing well at ANY of it? Is it Braeden’s heroscape game spread all over the dining room floor? Is it the spot on Emma’s bed where (oops) she “spilled” her gum? Is it that Mark insists on running around the house, yelling and smacking walls and siblings just because he has such a huge amount of energy? Is it that my shoes are too tight and my heart is two sizes too small? Whatever the reason, the heart or the shoes…I’m grumpy.

What I really need is a good shot in the arm of gratitude. So here I go. What I’m grateful for. Today.

1. Sunshine. In February. In Seattle. Amazing.
2. Taking Mark to the car wash during Braeden and Emma’s piano lessons. He told me over and over it was the best day of his life. Who am I to argue with that kind of unabashed joy?
3. Adam, Adam and forever Adam. He listens to my whining and complaining and loves me anyway and gives me advice and encouragement and if nothing else works, wraps his arms around me.
4. Talking on the phone with Janet…having someone I can talk to until one of our cordless phones die out and we have to finally go back to our lives.
5. I made it to the gym today!
6. My kids are healthy.
7. My husband has a good job and I get to stay home full time with these healthy kids.
8. I get to take my kids to London! The big frequent flier pay off!
9. I can home school my kids and watch them learn all the while fulfilling my dream that started in first grade when I wanted to be a school teacher like Mrs. Jund.
10. Clicking on the “publish post” button when I write a blog. I feel like a real writer for 20 seconds.
11. Hearing my kids reenact Guillermo (from Jimmy Kimmel) trying out for the Wiggles.
12. It’s the last week of basketball.
13. We got our car back from Aldercrest Auto Repair. We are once again a two-car family!!
14. Adam wasn’t hurt in the accident that landed his car at Aldercrest Auto Repair.
15. Emma wanted books with her birthday money.
16. My mom taught me how to make bread. Nothing nourishes body and soul like homemade bread.
17. Good books to read. Right now I’m reading 44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith. It’s funny.
18. It’s the Blue and Gold banquet tonight (sorry Janet) and guess whose son turned eleven and no longer has to go to those…well, until Mark is eight.
19. Good quotes, like the following:

It’s easy to complain about children. But when we want to express our joy, our love, the words elude us. The feelings are almost so sacred they defy speech. –Joan McIntosh


I’ll stop complaining. No more grumpy. I promise.










And the Guillermo video...



I know what you're thinking...you didn't think I, who barely knows how to check my cell phone voice mail, was smart enough to attach a video to my blog. Well, you're right. I am not that smart. I'm married to one who is though.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails