Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Happy (Half) Birthday

There are certain advantages of being an adult. You’re never forced to try food you don’t want to eat, you can drive, and you can invent holidays. Especially holidays involving birthday cake.

Back when Braeden turned 5 and somehow had four birthday celebrations that year in addition to his birthday being 17 days from Christmas, we decided to start celebrating half birthdays. When we learned Mark was due on Christmas day, our resolve was strengthened.

We’ve never looked back. Everyone gets two birthdays a year (except for Adam and me because we usually forget when our half birthday is). The upside of this tradition is that the kids get gifts in the summer, far away from Christmas (they still get birthday gifts from grandparents on their actual day so no one suffers), and the cake. You can’t argue with cake.

The downside of the tradition is that we’ve pretty much ruined our children for normal life. They think everyone celebrates half birthdays, they think they should be acknowledged and sung to in primary for their half birthdays, and they are very adamant that they be regarded as 7 1/2 not 7 (or whatever the case might be). So in addition to the therapy they’ll be needing for our April Fool’s traditions (another story entirely), they’ll have to spend some time getting a grip on the reality that no one else really cares about half birthdays.

Today was Mark’s half birthday. He is now proudly 5 1/2. He’s growing up fast but he still likes to curl up on my lap and he actually let me read to him today (something that happens less and less all the time) so I’m not complaining.

Happy Half Birthday Mark!

Mark's birthday breakfast (complete with Lego creation he is rarely without, morning hair and the "special plate" from my family's tradition).
Present time

At his request, Mark got a corn dog for lunch. Since I don't consider corn dogs food and usually the only time they darken our door is when I'm at Women's Conference, this was a Big Deal.
Dinner at the Blazing Onion in Mill Creek. It was our first time and I recommend it! I also admired Mark's steadfastness in eating when he was too tired (or full?) to be upright.
(1/2) Birthday Boy!

2 comments:

Mara said...

I can't BELIEVE how big your kids are getting! Oh wait, I guess kids have a habit of doing that...I love your blog! Mara

Megan said...

Thanks to you my kids also feel that they need half birthdays and gifts and cake. I'm holding out though.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails