Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

June

And what is so rare as a day in June? Then, if ever, come perfect days; Then Heaven tries earth if it be in tune, And over it softly her warm ear lays.
James Russell Lowell


What a crock! At least around here. This morning Adam and I were lying in the dim light of early morning, trying to summon the willpower to get out of bed. Adam said, “I hate June. It’s always like this. It’s nice the end of May and gives us hope and then THIS.”

It is pouring rain today. And 50 degrees. And I’m so tired of it! Gray soggy days. That’s what we’ve got. Even when it’s not raining, it’s not sunny and warm. In my mind, June is supposed to be sunny and warm, not like this.

When I’m in this “why do we even live here” melancholy, I try to conjure up why we even live here. So this is for my benefit. An attempt to cheer myself up:

Emma on the ferry


Amazing tulip fields in Skagit Valley

Braeden burying his nose in a tulip

The day the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln came home into Everett

Mark playing in the water at Picnic Point

Even though the Mariners are the worst team in baseball, you've got to love Safeco Field

Mulkilteo Beach at sunset

Where the swimmers in our family love to swim--the Stillaguamish River


Bowman Bay

An early misty morning (OK, sometimes the mist is pretty)

A perfect day in a Umiak on Lake Union

Emma and Braeden in a pumpkin patch

Lake Stevens

Smiling, even though we're being enveloped by a cloud

I feel better. I remember why we live here. Why I like living here. June won't last forever. Besides, I have an umbrella and as my friend Mara tells her children, we are made of waterproof stuff.

5 comments:

Braeden said...

June isn't bad hear don't listen to her!!!!!

Mara said...

I love the way you write, Thelma. Thanks for your insights! Mara

emily, etc, etc said...

Hi Thelma - this is Lisa Jenkins' sister Emily. Lisa told me I needed to read your latest post, knowing I could relate. We recently moved away from Washington for the very reason you write about - because the weather STINKS!!!!! But, I have to say that all those reasons you listed for loving Washington are so very true and some I know I will miss (we moved in September and I really missed all the pumpkin patches). There is nothing lovlier than the Sound. But, I really don't miss the grayness and all that rain.

Megan said...

If it makes you feel better (and it won't) last night on the news they said this is the coldest June on record since 1894!!!! So it Adam really thinks it's always like this, then he's crazy. I just booked a flight to LA to make me feel better yesterday.

Suzanne said...

Hi Thelma,
This is Suzy, I love your blog!! I know Adam well from our years growing up in Mill Creek. Our parents were/are best friends. I put a link to your blog from my blog, b/c I wrote about rain, and I thought your blog about the good parts of living in Washington was awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails