Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Goals

Mark in 2010, using my sunglasses to practice the piano because of the sunlight coming in the window.


All the kids took piano lessons when they were little.  Mark hated piano lessons.  And since he was my youngest and I'd fought all the battles already, I let him quit.  I didn't want to die on that hill.

This summer he has suddenly developed an interest in playing the piano.  He printed some sheet music (that has 4 flats so he's not sticking to anything simple).  He's relying on his native ability to play by ear and a little help from Emma and he is figuring it out.

I asked him (mistakenly, when will I learn?) if he wished he hadn't quit piano lessons.  He said, "No."

Silly me thinking he would change his stubborn stance.

In an effort to renew our efforts in our church's Child and Youth program, we met Sunday afternoon and talked about goals.  Everyone talked about their goals.  Emma is finally feeling a little lonely.  Three months into quarantine wears down even the most introverted I guess.  One of her goals was to spend more time with her brothers.  One of Mark's goals was to get better on the piano.

Yesterday, on my morning walk, inspiration struck.  Emma could teach Mark piano lessons and that would help both of them with their goals.  As an added benefit, I would pay Emma (whose employment opportunities are diminished) for her time.

I told Adam my idea and I said, "So I guess everyone wins but us, because we have to pay."

He said, "But we get to hear Mark play the piano."

Yesterday afternoon, Emma was sitting next to Mark and Mark was playing scales.  Willingly.

So everyone does win.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Great plan! Ruben and Lili have been teaching my littles piano lessons. It started out great, but now I think we will all be relieved when Grandma can do that again. I'm sure your more mature family's experience will be better.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails