Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

I Dwell In Possibility --Emily Dickinson

It’s New Year’s Day so that means taking down the Christmas tree and taking stock…of what candy is left in the house. Should I go with the healthier eating resolve and throw this leftover stuff away or should I finish it all…today…and have it over with?

I just hung up my new calendar. There’s something contemplative about a new calendar. All those blank clean squares…all those days. 366 days this year. A gift of 366 days. What will they bring? I think about tulip fields and birthday cakes, pumpkins and Easter baskets. Sunshine, sprinklers, the sound of lawn mowers. Likely there will be days and days and days of rain. There will be new books and movies to discover. Laughing over the same jokes and new ones. Swimming lessons and playing at the park. Hikes in the woods and walks along the beach. Pork chops with apple onion stuffing in the fall and hot dogs cooked on the grill in the summer. There will be camping trips and shopping trips and vacation trips. It’s all pretty wonderful to consider.

Then there are the things not so wonderful to think about. Dentist visits. Stubbed toes, arguments, weeds to pull, disobedient children and Adam gone on business trips. There will be broken glass and broken nails and a lot of laundry to wash. How many times will I load and unload the dishwasher? Depressing.

If I let it my mind can venture to other possibilities. Positive and negative. I don’t even want to think about some of the bad things that could happen. So I won’t. I will take heart by ascribing to the philosophy of Epicurus. Men are not disturbed by things, but by the view they take of things. I will face this year with courage. I will decide to take what is dealt me and try to take it with panache.

And I’ll go eat that candy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails