Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Excited for Tomorrow

I am looking forward to tomorrow. Mainly because it’s not today.

Today I lost Mark. Probably for less than a minute but it was sheer terror. We were at the Outlet Mall and he ran out of the Children’s Place while I was gathering up my receipt and wallet and purchases. I thought he was still in the store but he moves fast and he was outside. I found him and he was safe and sound but I’m telling you, sheer terror.

We bought Mark wide sandals at Stride Rite, which is our custom for our favorite red head with wide feet. I also picked up some black shoe polish…the liquid kind with a sponge on top of the bottle.

When I got home, I relished the fact that I had a call to return to Janet. I hadn’t talked to her for about a week and I was just settling in for a good chat when Braeden burst into the room and told me that I’d better get downstairs—fast. I looked at him skeptically and wanted to continue my phone conversation and he said, “Emma has black shoe polish all over the floor!”

What?! Is she a one year old and I can’t leave things like that within reach?

I hurried downstairs and upon seeing the kitchen, got off the phone immediately. Emma was standing in the midst of black shoe polish splatter marks that would make a forensic expert’s head spin. She was sobbing. Apparently she had been sitting at the table, fiddling with the bottle of shoe polish (why?) and decided to pop the top off. (why?why?) This caused the stuff to spray EVERYWHERE. It was on the table and chairs, on Emma, on the floor, counters, dishwasher, in the sink and on the cupboard fronts. Impressive for such a seemingly small and innocuous little bottle of shoe polish.

Braeden was at the ready to help so I mobilized him with Clorox wipes. Emma was still in a stunned sobbing stupor and I sent her to the laundry room to stick all of her clothes in the wash…THEN GET BACK DOWN HERE AND HELP.

I sent Braeden for the Goof Off, which is worth its weight in gold. It got all of the shoe polish off of the wood. Comet worked in the sink.

Braeden told me that I was taking it all very well.

Emma started talking and I told her that I was still too angry to talk to her…or listen to her…so keep scrubbing and talk to me later. Mark and Holden, one of the triplets, sat at the kitchen table, playing with knights and horses throughout the crisis, completely unfazed. When Gavin came over to play too I sent the group outside. I didn’t have the stamina for too many small boys or ANY more mess.

I had puzzled all day about our evening plans. I had Enrichment meeting to go to and Braeden had scouts. Emma didn’t want to go to the nursery…deeming herself too old and she was adamant that she and Mark could stay home and watch a movie. I acquiesced thanks to my cell phone and the knowledge that I was 10 minutes away if they needed me. My problem was that I’d get done at 8:30 and Braeden wouldn’t be back at the church (they went swimming) until after 9:00. I didn’t want to leave Emma and Mark for that long. Braeden’s scout leader assured me that he’d give Braeden a ride home or make sure he had a ride with someone else. Problem solved.

Enrichment was enriching on some levels but also frustrating. We were supposed to be assembling 72 hour kits and doing some canning. I had prepaid with my rice and cans but the canning machine wasn’t working and I had to get home to my kids so I loaded up the empty cans I’d purchased and my sack of rice and came home. I don’t know what I plan on doing with the empty cans? I didn’t want to leave my kids for too long though.

A little after 9:00, when I was just getting Emma and Mark to bed, Braeden called and said, “I’m at the church now. Will you come and pick me up?” I was confused and asked, “Can’t you get a ride home?” He said, “OK.” I said, “Call me again if you can’t get a ride and I’ll come and get you.”

9:15 came and went. 9:30. I was getting worried. Had he or hadn’t he gotten a ride home? I didn’t want to leave and pass him on my way. At 9:45 I decided to call his scout leader. Maybe he was giving multiple boys rides and it was just taking longer?

Braeden’s scout leader was home. I asked him if he knew where Braeden was. He said, “Well, I left him at the church.” Apparently since there were still cars there (people who hadn’t given up and irrationally brought their empty cans home?), he thought that all the parents were still there.

And that’s when I started to cry.

Apparently losing each of my sons in a 24 hour period is my breaking point. I stared at the phone trying to figure out what to do then I called the church. Someone answered the phone. I asked and they said Braeden was still there. I said, “Will you tell him that I’ll be right there?” I told Mark and Emma that I was leaving…again and would be back soon and stay in bed.

I was backing down my driveway when my cell phone rang. It was Braeden. “Hey, Mom, you don’t NEED to come and get me. I have a ride with Joey’s mom.”

“Debbie’s still there?”

“Yeah, we’re just cleaning up. Are you OK?” No I really wasn’t. I’m probably losing my mind. I told him I was fine though and I’d see him soon and I went and told Emma and Mark that I was home again/still. Emma gave me a note in which she apologized profusely for the shoe polish. I told her she was more than forgiven and loved and to go to bed.

Braeden hugged me when he got home and I hugged him back. I probably won’t let Mark or Braeden out of my reach tomorrow.

And I probably won’t let Emma within reach of any shoe polish.

Still, I’m looking forward to tomorrow. It’s not today.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thelma, I hope that today is much, much better. I also hope you went to bed with a big tub of chocolate something - you certainly deserved it.

Mara said...

Thelma! I loved your post. I love that you are so honest about the craziness of motherhood and if it makes you feel better, Tucker has been seriously lost three times in his short life (but thankfully only once by me. :) Take care! Mara

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails