Pages

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

What Would Sheri Dew?

I just returned from Women’s Conference. Adam said that the previous post (the one about going to Women’s Conference) was too full of sugar. What does he expect when there’s no caffeine on BYU campus? Sugar is the next best thing. Anyway, I’ll try for less saccharine in this post, but really Women’s Conference at BYU!

First we had our baby shower for Jennifer at her house. My big little brothers were there also but were relegated to Enoch’s office when it was time for the shower. I met baby Olivia and twin babies Laurel and Maisy. Babies make the world go ‘round. We passed around babies and ate candied apples and oohed and ahhhhed over pastel baby girl clothes for Jennifer. We called upon the boys when we needed pictures taken. They each came out to point and shoot. I gave Ammon my camera and caught him zooming in on just his wife. Few people have ever been in love as much as Ammon is with Melanee.


Marianne and Laurel or Maisy (sorry Hannah, I can't tell)

Olivia with Laurel or Maisy and Hannah

Katie, cutting candied apples...mmmmmm

The group

It was snowing when we left Enoch and Jennifer’s house. Yes, on April 30.

We checked into our dorm room (which Geri aptly compared to a prison) and geared up for the next day, Women’s Conference. I would follow Sheri Dew to the very ends of the earth and she was the opening speaker. I wrote while she spoke as fast as my hand would go. I didn’t get everything but here’s a bit to inspire you:

If we unleashed the influence of covenant keeping women, we would change the kingdom of God overnight.

If I could hang onto the following, my life would be a better place:

Ask the Lord what he would have you do rather than feverishly work through your to do list.

And…

You’ll be less likely to feel like life has spun out of control if you view life as a ministry.

And finally…

Pray for who the Lord needs you to be rather than living to impress others.

See what I mean? Sheri. Love her.

I also went to good classes and among others, heard John Bytheway, Mary Ellen Edmunds, Julie Beck and President Monson speak. Not a bad way to spend a few days. The Marriott Center was a packed house…packed with chatting and laughing women. When President Monson walked in, an immediate silence rolled over the crowd as we rose to our feet. We were in the presence of a prophet of God. I looked over at my sisters and they had tears on their cheeks just like I did.

Thursday night we went to possibly the best play I've ever seen at the Hale Theater in Orem. My mom treats us every year and she is wonderful to do it because I adore going to plays. Ammon was along with Melanee as the token male. He bought me frozen yogurt afterwards. As far as I'm concerned, his position as token male is safe.

We went to Nevada Friday night and stayed until Sunday. It’s good for my soul to be there. My mom cooked the foods I love and handed me books to borrow. My dad fixed my broken bracelet and gave me a ride on his buggy. My dad has a Belgian horse, Goldie. I’m pretty sure he loves my mom more than Goldie but his children less. Goldie had a baby, Ann, two years ago and this winter she gave birth to Andy. It’s a toss up if my dad loves Ann and Andy more or his real grandchildren. I think we’re afraid to ask.

Goldie and baby Andy (you can see a little of Andy's dad, Dan in the background)

My dad harnessing Ann for the buggy ride

I also got to quilt with all the women…including my nieces who seem to get prettier the taller they get. Sitting around a quilt with women I love is a high form of bliss for me. I was tired though. I went over to Marianne’s couch, which I’ve spent a lot of time lying on over the years…reaching back to when I was pregnant with Braeden. Katie brought over baby Olivia and Olivia and I snuggled up and snoozed in the sunshine streaming in the window. Sunshine! That’s something I don’t see too much of.

Quilting Queens: Clarissa, Liberty, Marianne and Deseret

Other highlights were celebrating Marianne’s birthday, putting baby Olivia to sleep during Sunday School at church, and talking on the phone to six different cheerful and helpful BYU student employees at Heritage Halls because I’d left my cell phone in my dorm room. I told one girl that my brother would be picking up the phone for me. She asked his name. Ammon Dahl. She said, “Was he a freshman last year because there was an Ammon in my ward.” Sorry, wrong Ammon but isn’t it reassuring to talk to eager young women who had an Ammon in their ward last year and are excited to reconnect?

We headed back to the airport and then home into the enthusiastic hugs of my children and Adam. I missed them. They liked the gifts I’d paid a queen’s ransom for at the BYU Bookstore but Mark said he actually wanted more than I’d brought.

Many times during the conference when I was overwhelmed by the incredible speakers, sheer power of so many righteous women or fabulous mint brownies, I thought of Adam. He's so good to cheerfully send me on my way while he stays home to capably pick up my responsibilities. What a lucky woman I am.

So I’m home. My suitcase is still packed, there’s a stack of papers and books on every flat surface in my bedroom and I have a new calling in Relief Society that I am COMPLETELY clueless about. I think I can do it though. I’m trying as hard as I can to keep a firm grasp on the encouragement and perspective I felt at the feet of such wonderful speakers. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Mara said...

Glad you're back! It seems as though you are, too. Thanks for the great WC quotes. I've always wanted to go and never have made the necessary effort. Great blog! Miss you- Mara

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails