Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Making Mistakes

Yesterday was the primary talent show. We had some mother-son trouble prior to the event. On Monday I told Braeden to play his song for me, “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” on the piano. It wasn’t great. I tried to gently break the news that he needed to play another song. He got mad. I told him that it wasn’t that he’s not a good pianist. It was a hard song. Didn’t help. He said, “I can do this. I want to.” I agreed but said it would take a lot of practice. A lot.

He didn’t practice again that day.

So I called in the Special Forces team in dealing with our children…Adam. When he got home from work, I explained the situation. He talked to Braeden in that irritatingly calm way they respond so well to and I can’t duplicate. Braeden played an alternative song for Adam but said he still wanted to play “You’ve Got a Friend in Me.”

Tuesday and Wednesday Braeden practiced a tiny bit and still insisted he would have it ready in time.

And I seriously doubted him.

Yesterday afternoon…the day of the big talent show, I was going on a visit with Wendy, our new Relief Society President. I mentioned to her that we had the talent show in the late afternoon. She asked me what my kids were doing and I told her my woeful tale.

Here’s why I love Wendy:

She told me that it was GREAT that he was willing to play in front of people. She told me that it was a good message to other kids who might be nervous about making a mistake if an older boy made mistakes in his playing. She told me how wonderful it was that he was confident. She told me that someday when he’s a missionary, he wouldn’t be afraid to play the piano even if he makes some mistakes.

I caught the vision.

When I got home I told Braeden that if he wanted to play “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” it was OK with me.

And it was. He played and fumbled around some but smiled a big smile and played the song he wanted to play.

I’m so grateful for Wendy. Teaching me that it’s OK to make mistakes. Teaching me that I was a silly ninny to be worried about how Braeden (and more importantly I) would look in front of the primary children in the Everett 3rd Ward and their mothers and teachers. When I grow up I want to be like her.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I love this reminder, Thelma. She is a wise woman and we're all better for being reminded that we (and our kids) don't have to be perfect. I love your posts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails