Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Seas the day

Braeden and Emma in the Long Island Sound...fifteen years ago.


Live in the sunshine
Swim in the sea
Drink the wild air
Emerson

Tuesday we spent visiting some of our old favorites on the Long Island Sound. 

One day, long ago, we watched Santa come into town on a tugboat sitting on this dock in Mystic with our little bald baby boy.


Here's the same dock (and the same baby).


Stonington is a picturesque little place that we love.





Finally, we went to Misquamicut State Beach in Rhode Island.



It is so very pretty there.



It was also sort of breezy and cold.

The thing is, I didn't give birth to anyone that can see a body of water and not want to get into it.  I blame their father.

It always goes something like this.

1) They want to swim.

2) I say no.  It's cold.

3) They really want to swim.  Plus they have swimsuits (because they always do).

4) I point out we have no towels.  The sand will be a mess.  Besides, it's cold.

5) They still want to swim.

6) Adam says he thinks it would be all right.  (of course he does)

7) I give up.

8) The maniacs swim and Adam takes care of all the sand and mess.  He pulls out t shirts as makeshift towels and carefully wipes sand off of feet before they get in the car. 

You have no idea how many times this exact scenario has played out.  It's a good thing we have Adam because I'm not much fun.

So swimming it was.

Emma was still changing while I took some pictures of the boys.  At first they ran in and out of the waves, getting up their courage.




Then their shirts came off and they got serious.


Then they did some sort of ritual to increase their nerve?


I can't explain it.


Seriously.  Can't.  Explain.


 Then their native water loving, sons of Adam nature took over.




Emma joined but is slightly less crazy than her brothers.

Braeden's skin was bright red from the frigid water.

So they swam.  I watched for awhile and then I got too cold and went to the car.  My children were swimming in the North Atlantic and it was too cold on the beach to watch.

I don't know.

The ocean is good for the soul though.  It's good to get your vitamin sea.

2 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

How lovely.

Geri said...

Love those kids. Never go to a body of water without a change of clothes and towels. Someone will go swimming.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails