Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Back to school night

 Another back to school night in the books. 

I went home from school so very tired.  It takes a lot of energy to be that peppy.  And I am going to have to muster my strength because peppy is kind of the job....

We had faculty pictures, and trainings.  (Blue to the sky, orange to the thigh for the Epi pen.). Matt got us each a Swig.

I had a little time and spent most of it trying to obtain tax exempt status from Teachers Pay Teachers.  So many steps!  I spun my wheels trying to get the first week planned, because I was scattered.  I will do better with it today.  

One of the aides, who has been in my classroom many times, came into my room.  She looked around like she was seeing it for the first time.  She asked me about my summer and how I was doing and said things like, "It is cheerful and colorful in here" and "This is a nice room." It seemed she was stalling for something.

Finally, I said, "I have your grandson this year."

She looked relieved that I had broached the topic.  She then looked immediately worried.  "I guess you've heard all the nightmares about him?"

I said, "I haven't heard anything."

Then she looked even more relieved.  I said, "I'm glad he's in my class."

I only half listen when a second grade teacher tells me about a student.  If it says in the notes to ask the teacher more about them, I never do unless the year is well under way and I can't crack the code.  I think kids need a fresh start every year.

I had complete understanding for the grandmother checking out the lay of the land.  There is Mama Bear energy and then there is Queen Mother Mama Bear energy.  I understand how your grandchildren have your whole heart.

At last, it was time to go put on my dress for back to school night.

I swooped the hanger off the hook and in the process knocked a picture off the wall.  It is the picture of melted crayons that I made years ago.  It absolutely shattered, crayon pieces everywhere.  I gathered it all up and tossed it in the trash and went to the bathroom to change.  I felt sort of rattled. In line for the bathroom, I was chatting with Caroline and she was holding her dress and sandals and at that point, I realized I had forgotten my sandals.

My black tennis shoes with the pastel colorful dress I brought was really not the look I was going for.

I contacted Mark and with a little FaceTime, I was able to point out the shoes I wanted.  He brought them to me, like the angel he is. 

When Mark arrived, I was scarfing down some pizza the school had provided which was my lunch and dinner.  My mind was spinning about all the things.  I said, "I am a mess.  I need to calm myself down."

He said, "How about an eight second hug."  He gathered me in his arms and held on.  It really did help.

My students started arriving and they are so cute!  It is misleading at back to school night because they are all shy and tentative and quiet.  Soon enough half of them will be chatty chatty and/or whirling dervishes.  They are adorable though.  I wrote their name in cursive on the name tag (oooh ahhhh cursive!), they got to pick their desk and chair, (several parents cautioned me that they maybe shouldn't sit by their best friends and I told them not to worry), I gave them their friendship bracelets and "homework" which is a mystery bag/show and tell situation.  One dad very earnestly asked me if I would be teaching them cursive.  When I said yes, he acted like that was the most important part of my job.  I cautioned that I get them to the point they can read it, but it is up to them to practice it well, because we don't spend a ton of time on it.  He was still just so pleased I was teaching cursive.  Everyone has their priorities. Some of the parents were anxious and some of them were confident that they knew the drill.  I showed the students where to line up outside and they nodded solemnly.  When I told them I'd be outside tomorrow morning, they looked relieved.  Everyone wants to know where to line up!

It was exhilarating to meet them all.  I really love my job.

It was exhausting.  I went home a tired sack.  I slept and slept and I'm ready for a day of prep!

No comments: