Friday was a good day at school. We did math and then Jamie read Officer Buckle and Gloria to my class and Matt read The Book with No Pictures to the third grade. I read aloud, they read silently. We rotated classes and I read Hooway for Wodney Wat to Alissa's and Miriam's classes. A day with reading is a good day.
Adam and I went to Costco, along with everyone in Utah County. It was the busiest I've ever seen it. We were in lines halfway back in the store, but it was Costco and they moved us through pretty quickly. Next we went to Trader Joe's. It wasn't too bad. Last year we went to Trader Joe's between conference sessions on Saturday and it was the busiest I've ever seen it. We have to file away all this research.
And I wonder what someone new to the area who doesn't know about general conference weekend would think....
Friday night Adam was feeling run down and exhausted which was a surprise to no one.
Saturday morning he was sick.
He felt awful and had a fever. He just kept getting worse. People always say, "I don't know how he does it," with all his travel.
I think his body said, "He's not going to do it anymore."
We watched conference and I loved it. I made Christmas ornaments for my class next to Emma putting together a puzzle.
After the second session of conference, Adam had a temperature of 104 so I took him to urgent care.
I had made a flu/covid shot appointment for all of us at 5:00 PM at CVS. I told Emma and Mark to go without us.
Urgent care wasn't too busy. They did all the tests and while he tested negative for both flu and covid, the doctor said he thought it was one of those because of the high fever and sudden onset. He knew about my lymphoma and told me my job was not to get sick.
He said, "But it's not his fault."
I wasn't going to blame Adam.
By then it was 5:30 and I still wanted to try for my vaccination because I would rather get it the day before I didn't have to go anywhere. Adam said to leave him in the car and go do it.
The kids were home by then so I went to CVS. They acted like too bad, so sad, I had missed my appointment. But then, a lady working there was the mother of one of my former students. That was the good news. She got me in! The bad news was that there was lots of chatting and Adam was in the car....
She told the guy administering the shots that I had taught her son and then he wanted to tell me all about tutoring his nephew in math and what a successful tutor he was. During the whole story, he was just holding the syringe and I was mentally coaxing him to stick it in my arm so I could leave and get Adam home.
We finally finished. Adam moved to the guest room, as part of the keep Thelma healthy initiative. I gave him Pedialyte and Tylenol and Advil on a rotating basis. Before I went to bed, I delivered NyQuil.
He woke up Sunday feeling a little better, but not a lot. So far I have not been able to talk him out of Anaheim/Atlanta/Nashville this week, but I did talk him into staying home today.
It's the little things.
We enjoyed the Sunday sessions of conference. My Covid shot (I'm trying to refuse the notion that I'm getting sick and also stressing about it anyway) wiped me out.
Life isn't always what you want. I was encouraged by the good words I heard about Jesus Christ and our Heavenly Father's love for us.
We're going to be OK.
No comments:
Post a Comment