Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Camp Wethehekawe

My parents taught me a great many things. What they didn’t teach me is how to recreate. I didn’t grow up in a somber house--far from it--but the vacations we took (and I use the term vacations very, very loosely here) were pathetic. Unless you count the vacations my grandma took us on which had nothing to do with my parents. Those were great.

My task oriented, pioneer stock, work before play parents reflect the way I mostly live (although my mom didn’t leave dirty dishes in the sink or visit the drive-thru with the frequency I do). This next week though, I’m fighting against my up bringing. I’ve either finished or abandoned my summer projects and now…we’re going to have fun!

My kids are a little taken back. So we’re not going to do our work? Nope. Really? Really.

I’m calling the week Camp Wethehekawe. I had that printed on a Girls’ Camp t-shirt once and thought it was tremendously clever and it also gives a nod to my really terrible horrible no good very bad sense of direction.

So wish us luck. Wish us fun. I’ll let you know how it turns out!

2 comments:

Hannah Stevenson said...

Hilarious and exciting...can't wait to hear all about it.

Anonymous said...

Thelma, I remember those tee shirts from girls camp! And I do believe they were tie-dyed...You are so good to take your kids on a 'real' vacation. I can relate to your memories of hard-working parents - I love what you're doing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails