Pages

Sunday, August 31, 2008

In Praise of Blogs...But Mostly in Praise of People

If you are reading this you are probably like me, a blog aficionado. I love checking in with “my girls” as I fondly consider the friends—both real and pretend that write the blogs I read. I need to extend it beyond girls though because Adam has a blog that I love and as of about a week ago, so does my little brother Enoch. (Who’s not so very little and outgrew me when he was 12.)

I fell in love with Adam reading his letters (from Finland when he was a missionary) so I love reading his writing. His blog makes me laugh sometimes and cry once (when he wrote a sweet post about Braeden) and makes me shake my head that he’s so smart.

I love reading my sisters in laws' blogs…and my cousins’. It’s great to keep in touch on a more frequent basis. It’s great to see pictures of babies I have yet to meet and to be in on redecorating progress. On a recent post of my lovely cousin Hannah’s, I saw pictures of her brother Tavan who is hands down one of my most colorful cousins. I haven’t seen Tavan for years and through the wonder of the internet I was transported back to catching crawdads in Boulder Creek when we were little and promising we’d marry each other if nothing else came along. Since he was from the city and I decidedly was not, he introduced me to new exciting things like break dancing and rap music. My childhood would not have been the same without Tavan.

I also got a comment on a blog post the other day from my beloved cousin Leslie. She is gorgeous, with gorgeous children, and has red curly hair (which I must admit a weakness for). Leslie is funny and kind and just completely classy. Seeing her comment made my day. I didn’t even know she read my blog. Reading her words took me back to happy memories at her home. It was an enchanting place with a wrap around porch, hammock, orchard, two staircases and a loft in her bedroom. Her mom threw amazing birthday parties and made the best cheese omelets I’ve ever had. Leslie and I “went out with” twin boys when I was in 6th grade and a few years later, in the halls of church during a mutual activity, Leslie soundly slapped one of them when he tried to kiss her. Leslie! Love her and love the magic of blogs that brought that all back to my memory.

I wish I had the words to express my feelings in the last week or so when I’ve read the blogs of perfect strangers (the pretend friends). I read a blog “Light Refreshments Served” and there I read about a family with four small children whose mother and father were severely burned in a plane crash. I’ve checked in a few times and every time go away wishing these kind people who are dealing with tragedy with such grace were more than just pretend friends. I’ve also been touched and moved to tears by the outpouring of love from others that I’ve read about.

All of that should have prepared me for what I read today. But it didn’t. I was reading sweet Hannah’s blog (too bad everyone doesn’t have a cousin Hannah…the world would be a happier one!) and she referred me to this.

Can you beat that?

Are there any bounds to the sheer kindness of people? I don’t think so and for that I’m truly grateful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the chicken story. When Dave and I were first married, we lived in an apartment complex with a lake and ducks. Somehow, one afternoon several of the ducks ran into our apartment. The scene that followed was much like your sisters. We were blessed with extra gooey turds left on our carpet. We moved soon after!

Your zuchini looks great! Doesn't it make you feel proud! We weren't so fortunate with the produce from our garden this year. The cucumbers we extracted were unnatural to say the least. They looked nothing like the picture on the seed packet. Fearful for my family's health, the cucumbers were 'recycled' in the compost bin!

Mara said...

I echo every sentiment regarding blogs. It's so great to keep up with people's lives and loves, and in their very own words and through the lenses of their very own cameras. I love it! Hope you are all well- Love, Mara

Anonymous said...

I agree there are no bounds to the kindness of people! And thank you for the flattering words! I remember those times playing together in really lovely light too. And playing at your house was the big treat to me! What a charmed childhood we had...thanks for writing this interesting and uplifting blog!

Susie said...

Love to hear about your life and things you do. I think blogging is great to keep connected with each others lives. Thanks for sharing yours with me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails