Pages

Thursday, August 31, 2023

And that's how Wacky Wednesday began

Yesterday I was listening to a podcast on my way to school, so I knew I had my phone.  Kind of like how Ebeneezer Scrooge knew Jacob Marley was dead....

I put my phone in my bag, dropped my lunch off in the fridge in the teachers' lounge and went to my classroom.  I pulled my water bottle out of my bag and reached for my phone, but it wasn't there.  I searched all through my bag.  Nothing.  I went back out to my car and searched there.

No phone.

I was puzzled.

My only idea was to check my lunch bag.  It has a zipper top and it had been partly unzipped so I'd zipped it up before I put it in the fridge.

And sure enough, there was my phone.

This is the kind of hard hitting news I text my family with.  Katie aptly called it Wacky Wednesday, which is my favorite I Can Read books of all time.  So I'm going with it.

In other news, mothering skills transfer into teaching.   In our family, Adam has a Dad Voice that could stop them in their tracks.  I would hiss insistent words quietly in their ears during things like church.  Both were effective.  They would (mostly) straighten up and fly right.

At our first assembly of the year yesterday, Hannah's class was being kind of naughty.  One boy kept turning around and messing with kids in my class.  She kept telling him to stop.  He kept doing it.

I walked over to him and enthusiastically whispered to him, "Do not turn around to my class again, do you understand me?"  

He understood.  He didn't turn around again.


Sometimes it isn't pretty.

We have our ups and downs, but things are going OK.  My students are much more academically balanced than last year's class.  I feel like I have more bandwidth to help the ones who struggle.

I'm reading them Nim's Island and they love it.  Reading to children is my love language.

I also am constantly entertained by them.  

In math we had a word problem that involved okra.  No one knew what it was.  I explained that it was kind of like a pepper, but not spicy or hot.

One of my Hispanic kids asked, "So what's the point of it?"

These are kids who bring a bag of spicy Taki's to school for breakfast.  It better be spicy if they are going to value it!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails