Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Altruism

Sometimes I'm just downright benevolent, philanthropic, selfless.

I just love to do things for my fellowmen.

Let me give you an example. Today I purchased something online. I was in a flurry because I was simultaneously having school, making doctor appointments, formulating my Target shopping list and waiting for a phone call.

When will I learn that multi-tasking isn't always the secret to success?

I was excited about my purchase though. I zipped off an email to Adam to tell him what I'd bought.

He called back--soon--and told me I'd bought the wrong thing.

He said, kindly (he's long suffering like that), "You need to read the details. It's all right there."

I got off the phone with him and called customer service. As I was waiting to connect to a live person I thought that there was no way I could not sound dumb in the exchange. When I finally had a human on the line I breathlessly explained my mistake, hoping for compassion and wizardry on the part of customer service to refund my money and cancel the order.

She was also rather kind and long suffering and pointed out to me that I hadn't exactly placed the order. She queried, "Did you see the screen that indicated your purchase was complete? Did you get the confirmation email?"

No and no.

It's like grammar when two negatives make a positive. My carelessness coupled with my carelessness equal no harm done.

And now for the altruism. Didn't I just make your day?

I've made you happy right now because you're thinking, "At least I will never, ever be as brainless as that Thelma."

You're welcome.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails