Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Books I Read In January

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. 
~Anna Quindlen
 
I read.  A lot.  For about eight years after becoming a mother I didn't read anything besides parenting books and the occasional magazine and I've been catching up ever since.  A half hour of silent reading time in the afternoon is a highly enforced institution around here.  I always have a book with me.  I read in bits and snatches whenever I can.  The problem with my reading is that I never remember what I've read.  I decided to record what I've read.  So then at least I'll know.


Saving CeeCee Honeycutt  by Beth Hoffman*

It was a nice story about strong women and friendship...good topics.  There was something missing though.  Some of the characters didn't seem quite right (not believable) and it was a little saccharin at times.  Still, it made me want to go to Savannah and live in a big old mansion.

The Unexpected Mrs. Polifax by Dorothy Gilman **

Very entertaining novel about a plucky lady who at 64 applied to work as a spy for the CIA.  Love plucky ladies.  Love using the word plucky.

Friends Like These by Sally Koslow**

Book about 4 friends living in New York City.  It was well written and an interesting look at a life very different than mine.  I am pretty sure I wouldn't want to be friends with most of them though.

Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor **

This is the true story of a brain scientist's stroke.  I love my book club because I read books I wouldn't otherwise read.  I am a world champion skimmer and I skimmed a lot of this book...when it was too technical or wordy.  I was fascinated by it though.  It was a positive and interesting book.  I have an irrational fear of having a stroke every time I get a bad head-ache.  (Me + my imagination = drama)  Maybe it was good I read this book for that reason.  Maybe it wasn't.

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella *

I like some Sophie Kinsella books more than others (I loved Twenties Girl).  This one had not such great language that resulted in a lot of skimming and flinches from yours truly.  I probably should have just stopped reading it.

If You Believe by Kristin Hannah *

I like Kristin Hannah.  This book definitely had some scenes I skipped completely--pages and pages.  Yikes.  It was a good story, just a little (or a lot) more information than I needed.

The Piano Teacher by Janice Y. K. Lee *

The main characters in this story weren't very likable.  What I did find fascinating about this book is that it was set in Hong Kong during and following World War II.  I don't know much of anything about that part of the world so I learned new things.

Currently reading:


The Book of Mormon 

It is the one book I can reread over and over and the book I miss the most when I don't read it.


Queen Bees and Wannabees by Rosalind Wiseman

The subtitle is "Helping your daughter survive cliques, gossip, boyfriends and other realities of adolescence".  Knowledge is power right?  I hope so because this book...these realities...are a little scary.

Weather of the Pacific Northwest by Cliff Mass

Nothing like curling up with some info about air currents when queen bees and wannabees have you all nervous and shaky inside.


Traveling with Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor

I picked this one up because I loved The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.  I'm not very far but I like it.  Sue and her daughter Ann trade off writing chapters about their travels together.

It makes me want to travel.

I love to rate! 

* = it was OK
** = I liked it
*** = I loved it




On an unrelated note:  the very hardest part of homeschooling for me has been the letting go.  Today Braeden's at school all day.  I didn't sleep.  I tried to have a poker face before he left but that kid knows me.  We just didn't look each other in the eye.  If you come back tomorrow and I'm still blogging, you'll know I survived it.


I'm not making any promises.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

I love that quote about bookshelves! I need to call you and hear more about Braeden at school.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails