Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Braeden at the doctor

I took Braeden to the doctor to get his physical. 

For starters, that kid is big.  6'3 1/2" and 212 pounds.  When the nurse told him the stats he gave a self satisfied nod (although he wishes he were as tall as his uncles).

I know that I shouldn't be surprised when you figure in his DNA and food consumption and the fact that he's full grown, but still.

He used to be my baby.

I handed over his immunization record, the same one I've carried around to doctor appointments since he was born. Braeden and the nurse were both amazed it was the original immunization record.  "Usually people lose them," the nurse told me.

I told Braeden, "Someday I'm handing this immunization record over to you and I expect you not to lose it."

The nurse eyed Braeden and said, "Better make a copy first."

Braeden said, "Better make three or four copies."

He had to have blood drawn and a TB test which didn't phase him in the least. Gone are the crying at the doctor's office days.  (They've been gone for a good long time but they were traumatic enough that I still appreciate their lack now.)

Two days later, yesterday, we had to go back to get the TB test read.  I met Braeden there after his rehearsal. It occurred to me that I could have just had him go on his own, but I didn't trust him with the stack of papers.

How do I trust him to go serve a mission in the first place if I don't trust him to keep track of the papers?

I don't know.  It doesn't have to make sense, OK?

We walked in together and Braeden said under his breath, "Just tell it to me straight, Doc, will I ever play the violin again?"

He does that, tells me goofy things right before I am supposed to speak intelligently at the receptionist desk.  The nurse called us back and Braeden rolled up his sleeve.  "Negative," she said. (Which I could plainly see and could have marked the little negative box on the paper myself, but then what would I do with all my free time?)

Braeden said to me, quietly, "I guess I need to get back all the things I gave away to people since I thought I may have tuberculosis."

Again, there I was laughing and the nurse was looking at me like, this is really no laughing matter.

I gathered up the paperwork, since that was my entire role in the excursion, and we headed out into the late afternoon sunshine.

Anytime you don't have TB, it is a good day.

2 comments:

Clarissa Johnson said...

Oh Braeden sure makes me laugh! :) How exciting!

Olivia Cobian said...

I don't even try to keep immunization records anymore. They always print out an updated one when we get new shots. I'm impressed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails