Pages

Friday, September 5, 2008

Patience...Not My Virtue

I’m not a patient person. I’m not. Adam would laugh and call that the biggest understatement of my life. There are some good things about being impatient. I do get things done. Usually. There are down sides too. Like Adam almost walking into the night instead of asking me to marry him.

It all had to do with my wedding ring.

First I have to say that I asked my dad if he’d make my wedding ring when I was a little girl and I’m pretty sure he said no. Just no. I don’t think he had a reason.

Then Adam asked him to make the ring and he said yes and I was thrilled. My parents came to Provo for some reason. We were all at Marianne and Robert’s house and Adam went out to the car to “help carry something in”. My mom confided in me that my dad had brought the ring. I started my chorus of “What’s it like? What’s it like?” and she said that she didn’t know. My dad wouldn’t show her. No one had seen it because he wanted me to be able to show it to people. (That’s my good dad!)

When Adam came back, I looked at him expectantly and he (probably on purpose) didn’t take the hint. He had his own plan. I prompted him along, “Did my dad give you the ring?” He said no. Liar! I should have known then that Adam had his own plan to give me the ring and didn’t want me to ruin it but I KNEW HE HAD THE RING AND I WANTED TO SEE IT. I had wanted that ring since I was a little girl and had asked my dad to make it.

Impatience!

We went through a painful (for me) evening with my family. My brothers wanted to go bowling and Adam said we’d join them. What!? That’s when I got really grumpy and Adam took me home. Believe me, looking back, I realize what a brat I was being.

We got to my apartment and I was sulking and Adam was considering forgetting the whole thing. Luckily he is a very patient person. (You know how opposites attract.) He forgave me even when I hadn’t apologized and gave me the ring and has had a lot of practice ever since dealing with my impatience.

My impatience prompts me to start preparing for Christmas in late summer, almost always getting my hair cut on the day I decide to get it cut and never letting more than a day or two pass between picking a color to paint my walls and doing the actual painting. Still, I’d like to think—maybe—that I’ve grown up some. Maybe I’m more patient. I hope.

I’m decidedly impatient today though. My school books have not arrived yet. I am frustrated and impatient. I want to start teaching school. I have these lovely empty shelves in my school room waiting for the books. I have these lovely children to teach and NO BOOKS. I’m blaming everything from the mule train that is probably delivering the books (stubborn mules!) to the bureaucracy that is Washington Virtual Academy that moves so slowly. I know the books will eventually come but it is driving me crazy in the meantime. Every time a vehicle passes my house, my head turns. Is it the UPS truck with the books? I wonder if I should leave home. What if the books come while I’m gone? This is no way to live. Am I supposed to be learning patience? Is that the point? I’m not sure I’m patient enough to learn anything.

Do I feel better after this rant?

No, I just want my books.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails