Pages

Friday, September 12, 2008

Part Three: Can You Fall in Love…With a Lake?


I love Lake Chelan. Judging from the million dollar homes dotting its shores, I’m not alone. I've realized as much as there is to love about the Pacific Northwest, it does my Nevada born soul good to be in the desert. I love the desert air and desert sky and confess an affinity to dry brown hills. We rented the wave runner for Adam and I found a grassy shady spot and set up camp. I mostly read and fetched things from the van, which was parked too far away. I did venture out once on the wave runner with Adam. I told him that he now had proof I love him. I was nervous and didn’t really want to go. What didn’t help was that Mark was sandwiched between us. I was still wary of letting any harm come to Mark so as we skimmed along the dark surface of the lake, images of us falling off and losing Mark almost did me in. Forget that Mark’s a better swimmer than I am (it wouldn’t take much to be a better swimmer than I am) and we all had life jackets. I was nervous.

Adam wanted me to try driving. I said OK but we had to take Mark back to shore first. We did and I must admit I enjoyed the thrill of bouncing over waves and feeling the cool spray of the water and the hot sun. It was nice. I was happy to relinquish the handlebars though and take my retreat in my chair with my book.

For the rest of the day I dispensed snacks and drinks and sunscreen (should have done a better job with Emma’s back it turns out). I took pictures and heard tales of bravery. Emma was a little squeamish with the wave runner too. Once she was on it with Adam and Braeden. In order to reassure her, Adam told Braeden to jump off. Braeden didn’t quite know why but shrugged and dove off. So if anyone every says to Braeden, “If your dad told you to jump in a lake, would you do it?” The answer is yes. Emma realized that you could fall off the wave runner and live and she jumped off too. They all got back on and were back at it.

Eventually, Emma decided she wanted to just swim and left the wave runner to the boys. They got more and more daring as the day progressed and had a fabulous time. I was happy to see the pure joy on Adam’s face. He works very hard and makes Everything Happen so I’m glad that he was able to get a reward, however small.

My happy boys

My happy girl..swan diving the day away

It turns out my selfless wifely nature only goes so far though. We had the wave runner for 5 ½ hours then Adam and Emma decided they wanted to dive off the dock then Braeden (who was already dressed in dry clothes and I’d already put away his wet things when I packed up the van) decided to join them and dove in also.

Jumping off the dock.

That was when I got crabby. I had had as much fun as I wanted and I was hungry and hot and DONE.

We got everyone gathered up and dried off and Adam (always wisely placating me when I’m surly) asked me where I wanted to eat. I said, “Red Robin” and he found me one in nearby Wenatchee. What a guy.

Mark fell asleep on the drive to Wenatchee. We woke him up long enough to find out he wanted a pizza off the kid’s menu then he lay on the bench next to me and fell asleep with his head on my lap. I couldn’t rouse him when his dinner came so I ate my Santa Fe burger over the top of his head and unfortunately dropped some of it on him. (It’s hard to politely eat one of those things even when you don’t have a five year old asleep on your lap.) Poor Mark.

We made it home, happy, exhausted and sunburned in odd spots where I missed with the sunscreen. Adam felt the motion of the lake all night I think but it was a good trip. And we’re certainly going back someday.


When we left, Mark said, can we come back next year and do everything exactly the same. I said yes. Except for leaving you behind. Won't do that again!

1 comment:

Hannah Stevenson said...

Sounds dreamy...especailly the Red Robin Santa Fe burger part...yummmmmmy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails