Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Living deep

I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life...
 Henry David Thoreau

Our nephew Jackson got tickets to a Mariner's game from his dentist.  Good seats!  Adam volunteered to take him.  Mark and Jackson could sit in Jackson's seats and Adam would buy tickets for him and me.  We debated the cheap seats vs. close proximity to the boys.

In the end, I'd like to say that it was all about wanting to take good care of our charges, but I think it was just us, wanting to soak it all in and enjoy some Seattle.

Adam bought us seats on the 6th row.

And he paid to park in the garage.

I asked him who he was and what he'd done with my husband.

I loved the seats though.  Here's the first pitch:
 


It was one of those perfect Seattle summer nights.  The temperature was sublime, the garlic fries were sublime, the crazy people in front of us were entertaining.  (I surreptitiously snapped a picture of them on my phone and sent it to Braeden...because who wears a kimono to a baseball game?  And chants, "We want a pitcher, not a belly itcher!"  Also, the guy got a little racist when he'd had a few beers but the crowd shut him down pretty effectively.)

I loved being next to Adam.  We held hands and he explained stuff to me.  He told me about a player on the Twins who'd left Seattle because the player thought he was worth more money than Seattle would pay.  When the player was up to bat, I heard men all around us explaining to the women they were with why everyone was booing.  Good thing those guys listen to sports radio so we don't have to.





Mark and Jackson were several rows behind us.  Occasionally we'd turn around to make sure they were still around.  Eventually, sometime after Mark broke a tooth on some kettle corn (!), they came down and joined us.  (Coincidentally, Mark has a dentist appointment tomorrow.  Also the broken tooth doesn't hurt.  We're waiting til tomorrow...)


Mark and Jackson were hilarious.  On the drive there, we were listening to music and commenting on the pathetic nature of Bruno Mars' songs.  They started talking and eventually I had to ask them what was so funny.  Jackson told a scenario about driving along and saying to your girlfriend, "That's where my ex lives."

The girlfriend would say, "Hey, that's my house."

Then you'd say, "Exactly.  Get out."

These boys.

Seattle ended up winning which was icing on the cake.  Even if they'd lost, I'd have felt like I'd won though.  Because I was with these guys.


1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

That is such a pretty picture of you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails