Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Books I read in June 2014

After a little hiatus from blogging, I have all sorts of things I could write and I'll eventually get to some of them.

First, what I read in June:


 Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson ***

On one of my days that I was sitting in the Snohomish library, writing, my friend Amy walked past.  She showed me this book and said, "Have you read this?" I said no.  She put it in my hands.  So I did the smart thing and checked it out.  Then it was picked as the book club book.   I enjoyed it.  It's set in the same time period as Jane Austen novels--regency?  It was no Jane Austen, a little lightweight and the characters weren't always true feeling.  It was overall entertaining though and that's why I read.





Crossing Caleb by Geraldine Brooks ***

This book was fascinating.  It's based on a native American man called Caleb who lived on Martha's Vineyard in the 1600s.  He was befriended and educated by Puritans also living on the island and eventually educated at Harvard.  The historical aspects of it were very interesting to me and so were the characters.  I had in mind a completely different ending but I guess you can't just change the story too much if you're writing about a real person.


B by Sarah Kay ***

This book is a poem and I read it in about 3 minutes.  It's a message to a daughter so after I read it, I handed it to Emma and she read it.  We both liked it.  It's nothing earth shattering but we liked it.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails