Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Babysitting is not for sissies

Friday we had Cormac and Azure overnight while their parents went on an anniversary getaway.  I fully remember parenting a five year old and an almost three year old.  No problem...

Some things I didn't forget.  Fast food restaurants?  They're like riding a bike.  We went to Chick-fil-A and I ordered Cormac and Azure each a kids' meal (ah those days of cheap kids' meals...before my children ate like horses).  Cormac wanted to see the toy.  Ah ha!  It all came back to me.  "After you eat," I said.  I remembered how the toy could be so exciting they forget to eat and then they're hungry two minutes after you leave the restaurant.

"What I want is ice cream," Cormac said, pushing away his chicken nuggets.  Azure happily munched fries.

I told Cormac he could have some ice cream after he ate his chicken nuggets.  He looked morosely at his chicken.  "I'm not very hungry," he said, "I'm full."

I said, "OK."

He said, "Aunt Thelma, I am hungry.  For ice cream."

"Hmmm," I said.

He looked at me to see if I was bluffing.  I wasn't.

I felt slightly smug.  I've still got it.

Cormac and Azure finished (Cormac decided he was too full, even for ice cream).  They went to play in the play structure and Braeden impersonated a vacuum on their leavings.  He shared a little with Mark.

Braeden and Mark went to retrieve the kids when it was time to go.  Braeden's long arms and Mark's ability to climb up inside the slide as necessary were helpful assets.  Braeden gathered Azure on his lap and started to put her boots on.

"Where are your socks?" he asked.

Azure shrugged.  I didn't even remember what her socks looked like.  I felt decidedly less smug.  Losing the socks up inside the play structure? The oldest trick in a preschooler's book.  I thought we may swing by Target on the way home for some new socks.

Azure looked up and pointed.  "My socks are up there," she said.

Mark sighed.  "I'll go," he said.

(How did I take little kids around town before I had Braeden and Mark to help?)

Mark was the hero and found the socks.  Braeden carried Azure to the car and Cormac wanted to hold my hand in the parking lot, "Because if a car hit me, I would die."

I promised I wouldn't let that happen.

We headed home and read some stories.  Both kids yawned and Cormac wanted his pajamas on.  I could tell putting them to bed was going to be exactly no trouble.

They had brought sleeping pads and an arsenal of stuffed animals.  We tried to set it all up on the floor in Mark's room and there wasn't enough room.  We dragged everything to the school room and had to negotiate a great many things.  After stories and prayers and another diaper change for Azure and one last trip to the potty for Cormac and drinks of water all around, 45 minutes had passed and they were finally in bed.

Amazing.

This is why I had children when I was in my twenties.

Of course we weren't done yet with the bedtime ritual though.  They were in a strange place and that isn't easy.  I get it.  They got up several times.  I sweetly sent them straight back to bed every time, figuring they would eventually cave.  I realized it's a lot easier to be sweet when you know it's only for one night.

I had to go pick Emma up from the school so I left Mark at the helm.  When I arrived home, Azure had bolted and ran to our room but Mark had corralled her back.  Azure got up several more times.  Finally in desperation, I called Emma upstairs.  "Say goodnight to Emma," I told Azure.

"Good night," Azure said.

"Good night Azy," Emma said, "Now you go to sleep."

"OK," Azure said demurely.  And she didn't get up again*.  

I have no idea how I parented my little kids without the help of my big kids...  It's all very confusing.


*Adam came home from his business trip and he took the late shift when the kiddos woke back up.  It takes a village...

1 comment:

Melanee said...

First off thanks for watching our kids. They had a wonderful time. And so did we. Second, I feel like perhaps I failed. I should've warned you that Cormac recently threw-up his "Chic-the-Fray" (as my kids call it) meal and has been unable to stomach it ever since. Not that he's a great eater to begin with, but that could've made your life easier if you'd known. Either way they loved their night at "Aunt Thelma's." You guys were wonderful to take them for us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails