Pages

Friday, January 9, 2015

Eighteen

This weekend Braeden will turn 18.

The last year has not been an easy one for Braeden.  It wasn't his idea to move.  He left behind friends he loved and teachers he loved and a school he loved.  He was plain sad.  And then, little by little, he was better.  In typical Braeden fashion, his native optimism carried the day.  I am proud of the way he's made the best of a hard situation and I know that it will make him a better person.  He is turning 18 a little less carefree, a little more empathetic, a little kinder, a little stronger.

Eighteen.  It feels like such a big deal.  It is a milestone, sort of a guidepost that says, "OK, you are an adult."

When I home schooled Braeden, I realized that his favorite way to learn was to just do it.  He barely listened if I explained how to do an assignment in too much detail.  It was better for him if I just turned him loose on it and he could come back to me with questions.

I know there are more lessons for him to learn and they're lessons I can't teach him.  I'm not exactly looking forward to him leaving home (at all) but when has motherhood been about me?  From the time I took Braeden to get his first vaccination, I had to come to terms with the fact that sometimes, being a mother was doing what was right for your child even if you didn't want to do it.

I can't help but feel excited for Braeden too though.  He is planning on serving a two year mission for our church after he graduates from high school.  He doesn't get to pick where he will go and the possibilities are exhilarating.  I have a lot of confidence in him and his abilities.  He will help people and make their lives better.  It will be hard for me to share my boy, but share him I will.

After his mission, there will be college.  We are still waiting to know exactly where that will be but I'm happy with the options.  From where I sit, his future looks bright, bright, bright.

Here he is world.  My imperfect, maddening, marvelous boy.  I can't express the depth of my affection for him.  If giving him to the world was all I ever did, it would (in my, you know...completely unbiased opinion) be enough.






 

4 comments:

JoLyn said...

"If giving him to the world is all I ever did, it would be enough" is one of the loveliest commentaries on motherhood I've ever read.

Olivia Cobian said...

This makes me teary. Well done (writing this post and raising that boy).

Olivia Cobian said...

This makes me teary. Well done (writing this post and raising that boy).

Olivia Cobian said...

I don't know why that came up twice. I don't know why that came up twice. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails