Pages

Monday, August 25, 2008

Camp Wethehekawe: Day One


Today we took a hike. Well, it wasn’t really a hike, more of a walk on a level paved trail. I’m not sure if you can call that a hike. We walked from McCullom Park to the Mill Creek Town Center through the woods. It’s a pretty walk.

We had lunch at Central Market (I had a Panini…I love whoever invented Paninis!) and the kids wanted to go to the University Bookstore. Before going in I warned my children, “Now we are NOT buying books. We. Are. Not. So don’t ask.” They all assured me that they would not ask. And they didn’t. For about 30 seconds. Then the choruses of please please please Mom started. Grrrrrr.

Our walk back to McCullom Park was about the same as the walk to Mill Creek. A little bit of bickering. A little bit of complaining of the I have to use the bathroom and Do you want me to starve to DEATH? variety. Mostly though, there were gentle, disjointed conversations about nothing as we ambled along. Not a bad way to spend a day.


One of our main objectives was avoiding stepping on slugs (Braeden and Emma took a lot of these pictures...I'm not sure a slug is picture worthy but there you have it). Mark and Emma started explaining in complicated ways how each slug we came upon was related to the other slugs along the way. (This one is the grandpa of that first one...this is the sister) Mark decided they were all on their way to "Sluggy's" birthday party. Sluggy is the name for every slug Mark sees in our yard and the reason he's opposed to slug bait. "Don't hurt Sluggy!"


Emma wanted to feed the ducks. I told her we didn't have anything to give them and she said she had some wheat in her purse. She carries a purse with reading and writing material and apparently...wheat in a small box. What will never be clear is why? Why?

Braeden gets this sign reading trait from his dad's side of the family. They are sign readers extraordinaire.



Yes, those are corndogs and yes they are nasty. One integral part of Camp Wethehekawe is keeping the campers happy though.


The requisite Uncle Rico poses. "Thanks Deb, I feel real relaxed..."

Collapsed on the pavement, one of Mark's two settings. The other one is running up ahead then back again then up ahead...

Hello autumn.

2 comments:

Hannah Stevenson said...

Looks like fun! The panini had my mouth watering. I love that person too. Can't wait for day two.

Susie said...

Dang you had a fun day. You made me hungry with your panini. I never did that trail before, we will have to do that someday. Look forward to your other adventures this week.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails