Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Humbled

I took algebra, geometry, trigonometry and calculus in high school. I liked them all (thank you Mr. Swanson!) and I did pretty well in them. I think I got the Top Math Student award in my tiny high school when I was a senior.

I can do math.

Or I could.

This summer I'm working on some pre-algebra with Braeden. (I'm telling you, PRE-algebra.) Here was one of the questions today:

Draw a large scalene triangle. Construct the three medians (see Construction I). Are they concurrent?

Huh? I understand all the words. I even know what scalene triangles, medians and concurrent mean. But, huh?

I would call Marianne (mathematician extraordinaire) but she's somewhere between Washington, D.C. and home today. I would call Olivia but she wouldn't remember. I would call my brothers but they probably wouldn't remember either. Ammon might but I don't want to be That Sister, calling him at work with Stupid Questions.

I didn't want to do it because for some unfathomable reason, my kids think he's smarter than me. (He is but that doesn't mean I have to like it.)

I really didn't want to but as you can see I was out of options.

So I did it.

I said, "We'll have to ask your dad when he gets home."

Darn.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails