Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Some Summer



Saturday was a banner day.  Long awaited.  Pined for.  Real, honest to goodness sunshiney summer.

I couldn't have been happier.

We went to an impromptu family reunion of sorts at Birch Bay.  There were aunts and uncles and cousins galore.  Marvelous.  And good food.

It was this sort of a day.


Mark running with his uncle Brian's dogs...he's loved these dogs since he was a toddler and they were puppies and knocked him over with regularity.
We searched the low tide and found all sorts of treasures--mostly clams and hermit crabs but also a jelly fish or two.

I spotted two big crabs.  I was hesitant to let them snap at my fingers but I wanted to take a closer look.  Adam was up at our picnic site so I did the next best thing, I called his brothers who were nearby.

They immediately set to work trying to catch the crabs.

With a dog leash.


You've got to admire their ingenuity.

At one point I told them it was like Deadliest Catch.

Brian said, "It's like stupidest catch," as they were both gingerly reaching for the crabs.


The crabs were brought to shore, inspected, and then sent back to tell all their friends about their wild adventure.


Grandma Geri supplied water balloons for a competitive water balloon toss.  (I would supply a picture but Adam and I were busy WINNING.)

We (and by we, I mean they, I sat this one out) also had a tug of war.  It was Whatcom County family members against Snohomish County family members...we had less people over the age of 60 but they had two pregnant women so it evened things out? 


Adam and our kids swam in the ocean and I languished in a camp chair, chatting with Adam's aunts and mom.

I don't fit in with my husband and offspring sometimes.

Speaking of incongruous, as we were packing up to leave, we heard a band playing a stirring rendition of Canada's national anthem in the nearby campground.  Yes, Canada was within our sight, and Canada Day was the previous day, but still.

Then they played "The Star Spangled Banner" and we all felt better.

The road took us through the campground on our way out of the state park and we saw the band.  It was about 40 people, all different ages, playing all different sorts of instruments.  They were playing a song we all recognized.

It was "White Christmas".

We didn't even pretend to understand.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails