Pages

Saturday, March 1, 2008

The London Times III

We've had another great London day. We went to a show today called Lighten Up. It was a light and puppet show which doesn't even begin to describe it. It was geared for kids but entertaining for all of us. The audience was a very different crowd of Londoners than we've encountered on the buses and Tube. I guess because there were so many kids. I realized that in this city of so many languages and ethnicities, everyone there was very anglo-saxon. After the play we went to the Thames which Emma proclaimed looked like split pea soup with waves. And there were waves because there was wind. The weather has made me long for the mildness of Seattle. We crossed the Tower Bridge on foot and got up close to the Tower of London including the Roman ruins.

Braeden and Emma playing on the steps near the Thames and the city hall

City Hall

Thelma, Emma and Braeden with the Tower Bridge in the background

The Tower of London (from across the river)



On the Tower Bridge

Braeden contemplating some medieval ruins

The other side of the Tower of London

Braeden, playing Roman emperor

Emma climbing on Roman ruins...she said, "Now I've been to Rome."

Our next stop was Greenwich (where Braeden decided it must mean an eco-friendly sandwich) and the Prime Meridian. Braeden and Emma got to straddle the eastern and western hemispheres and we strolled through the thoroughly beautiful Old Royal Navy College.

Hanging out on the Prime Meridian

My favorite eating experience (aside from the blessed scones) when I was in London before was at a pub in Greenwich. We passed several pubs that Adam thought would be good alternatives but I insisted on the Spanish Galleon where I could get the same chicken I had before. I didn't remember the name of the chicken, but I knew it would come back to me.

Well, it wasn't on the menu. They have a lot of nerve to take something like that off the menu! I settled for what Braeden and Emma had been wanting the whole trip...bangers and mash. They didn't end up liking it but I did.

Emma and Braeden at the pub that didn't have the chicken

I'll close with a funny quote we saw on the side of a library on our way home tonight:

From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend on reading it.

--Groucho Marx

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails