Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The London Times VI

We had a good day yesterday. And yes, I am WORN OUT. So much walking and sightseeing every day but I am loving it.

Yesterday we headed out for the British Library. We took the Tube to King's Cross station and had a photo op at Platform 9 3/4.

Heading to Hogwarts

Right next door is the library. We ate lunch in the cold courtyard then hit the gallery. (Adam said this is the coldest it's been on any of his trips here. It was below freezing last night. Last night I saw a weather report that it's going to warm up...tomorrow, when we leave.) We saw original writings of everyone from Jane Austen to the Beatles and the Magna Charta. Emma had the distinction of finding the Gutenberg bible. This year in school we've studied the invention of the printing press so that was important for us to see. We also learned about illuminated manuscripts and Leonardo da Vinci so we pored over the manuscripts and Leonardo's journal pages. Pretty amazing.

We visited the all important book store and gift shop so we could argue more about what the kids are going to buy with their money. I take my responsibility of making their lives difficult very seriously.

On the walk back to King's Cross we were confronted with fire engines (do they call them that here?) and police officers telling us there was a fire and King's Cross station was closed. My fledgling navigational skills were on trial but I found a bus and had my trusty map in hand so I was able to make it to the Wallace Collection. It houses a large collection of paintings but we were there to see the armor. There were rooms and rooms of impressive armor. For the first time, I think I found something in London my dad would absolutely love. We saw spurs and swords and spears and jousting sticks and maces and all manner of frightening tools. Those knights were a hearty group...and strong to be able to carry all of that. There was a spot where we could try on armor which was a big hit for the kids.

They called themselves Sir Braeden the Brave his squire Helpalot


We spent the evening at our hotel. Adam brought back fish and chips for the kids to eat in our hotel room and we ducked out for a brief "date" at a nearby Indian restaurant. After we returned we went to the executive lounge and ate this delicious chocolate mousse and played a game that I bought at the British Library.

Sherlock Holmes statue outside of the Baker Street Underground Station. (That really was the best I could do taking a picture without someone else in it on the busy busy street.)

Today's our last full day here. As much fun as we've been having, I think we'll be ready to go. This is an exhausting life and I miss Mark and my king sized bed.

Our plan today is to go back to Trafalgar Square so Braeden can buy a print at the National Gallery and we can eat at Pret a Manger and the kids can climb some more on the lion sculptures. From there we'll walk up the mall to Buckingham Palace.

Tomorrow it's off to Heathrow. Destination: the quiet suburbs.

1 comment:

Thelma said...

An update from Adam. Fire engines are known as appliances. So what are appliancs called? White goods.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails