Pages

Monday, March 3, 2008

The London Times V

Another bad night and great day. Just when I thought I had the jet lag thing conquered...I don't. I was up from about 2:00 until after 5:00 this morning. I don't know why. I slept awhile, we switched rooms because ours smelled like cigarette smoke (part of why I couldn't sleep well), then hit the road. We went to the British Museum. Heading down the always busy street towards the bus stop, Braeden said that he liked London and was getting used to it. He said, "Home will seem really calm after this." Yes, blessedly so.

We were going to only do the Greece and Roman rooms today but the kids wanted to do Egypt too. We had a good time. I especially loved the remnants of the Parthenon that are there. I can't imagine what it must have looked like when it was new. Amazing. Braeden was my personal Egyptian tour guide. He's read every book about Egypt in the Sno-Isle library system so I benefitted from his knowledge. Adam's sister gave each kid $20 for souvenirs and we went to the gift shop and argued about what they should get and I assured Braeden that no, I didn't want to buy the Harry Potter chess set that cost £45. No, Dad wouldn't be glad I did. No. No.

Back at the hotel I took another nap then we headed off to yet another delicious pub dinner with Adam. From there we hurried to St. Paul's Cathedral for a concert. It was amazing!!!! St. Paul's is my favorite church I've seen here. We went to a recording for BBC 2 radio that will be broadcast on Good Friday. There was an orchestra and soloists and actors reading and the St. Paul's Consort Choir. The acoustics were incredible and I loved the entire thing. It was about two hours which was about 1 hour and 45 minutes too long for Braeden and Emma but Adam and I loved it and figured it wouldn't hurt them. No one ever died from sitting still in a church. Well, maybe they have but I don't think those two were in danger.

Wow! St. Paul's Cathedral

Whenever she could, Emma hop-scotched on the paved squares

So it was back to our hotel where we talked to Mark and he kissed the phone and said it meant he was kissing me. I'll be happy to see my boy again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails