Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2008

The London Times VII--although technically we're in Vancouver

We're in the Vancouver airport and if I'm less coherant than normal it's because I'm more tired than normal. I found a diet coke, stuck a few lime slices in it which is really Diet Coke Bliss and I'm good to go.

I'll tell you about yesterday...our last day in London. We went to Trafalgar Square and the kids climbed some more on the lions and I was interviewed by some Brazilians. They were inquiring about tourism of some description and we didn't communicate well enough for me to understand why. When they found out I was American they asked me if I was for Hillary or Obama. Um...is there a third choice? They asked me my religion and when I told them they thought for a minute and said, "Joseph Smith?!" Yes. Braeden and Emma were nervously watching the exchange from a distance, not sure whether they should come and rescue me or bolt and run. I smiled over at them in what I hoped was an encouraging way and then my Brazilian friends wanted to know about them.

One of the beloved lions

After buying a few more souvenirs at the National Gallery, we had lunch at Pret a Manger and since it was very crowded, we ate outside at a table. The Pret brand of juice and soda cans proclaim "No Nasties". In the spirit of cultural experience, Braeden tried some ginger beer. He was not convinced of the lack of nasties. It was fun watching the red double decker buses cruise past but that's when I started to get cold and I didn't get warm until my hot bath much later that night.

The view from our lunch table

From there we walked down the mall to Buckingham Palace which was a really beautiful and impressive walk but alas, my kids were jaded by everything beautiful and impressive already. I said, "That...is Buckingham Palace." They said, "Hmmmm." and "Can we climb on that statue too?" I didn't think Queen Victoria looked very welcoming to climbing Americans so I said no.

Braeden and Emma in front of Buckingham Palace

We soaked up the sights and took a few pictures then went to Green Park. I sat on a park bench next to another woman and told Braeden and Emma--who were heading straight for a fountain--not to get wet. The first thing Braeden did was stick his hand in the water. The lady by me said, "That is exactly what my son would have done. Is your son about 10?" I said 11 and she said, "I thought so." So I guess boys in London blatantly disobey their mothers too.

We walked into St. James Park and I was freezing cold but we were waiting to hear from Adam so we didn't head back to the hotel. We found a small playground and stopped to play. I sat on a cold rock and thought about how cold I was until I got diverted watching people. I saw a little boy that looked about Mark's age but the similarities ended there. This boy was small and took small cautious steps and spoke in a small voice. He said in his polite British accent, "I have an idea, Daddy. I will spring from stone to stone." His gentle dad said, "Right then, but be very careful, won't you?" I guess that's the kind of conversation you could only expect in the shadows of Buckingham Palace.

When I was afraid frostbite was setting in (maybe an exaggeration), I insisted we continue our walk. We finally heard from Adam and went on the Tube to meet him and head to Hampstead Heath. Remember how cold I had been? Now we had to walk through the heath, which was absolutely beautiful but absolutely cold. We went to The Spaniards Inn which was built in 1585. Can you IMAGINE? I don't think there are rocks that are that old in Seattle.

The red phone booth photo essential for all tourists...this one was taken while walking along the Heath.

The incredible Spaniards Inn


It was a great place. I had the requisite bangers and mash, Adam had a steak and ale pie (which we're assuming the alcohol was cooked out of) and the kids had fish and chips and we were happy and (slightly) warm. There was a bus stop right outside and upon leaving the pub, I told Adam that it didn't matter to me where the bus went, we were taking it because I was DONE being cold and walking. Stick a fork in me.

Adam's a genius so he got us home with very minimal walking and whining from me. That's when the hot bath came in.

This morning we had our journey to the airport. Seems simple enough but we left our hotel a little after 9:00 a.m. to get to our 12:00 flight with little time to spare. Adam was upgraded to first class and because he's a first class husband, insisted that I take the upgrade. I felt extremely grateful, a little giddy with excitement and very guilty. I was sooooo comfortable though. And I was served scones and clotted cream! I read and took a short nap and watched a few movies and ate like a queen and poor Adam and Braeden and Emma were back with the commoners. It was just another blaring example of why I am so lucky to be married to Adam.

So that brings us to Vancouver. We'll be home in about three hours and I am looking forward to a big hug from my favorite redhead in all the world.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails