Pages

Thursday, November 9, 2023

A day in the life

Every once in a while I decide to pay attention to the wacky and lovely things that happen in a day and record them on my blog.

Yesterday was one of those days.  Here are some of the things that happened yesterday:

A girl came up and solemnly asked me if my dad ever had gout.  I said, "No."  

She said, "Mine does.  Polys get it a lot."

What about my pasty white skin makes her think my dad may be Polynesian?

Another girl came into school covered--seriously all over--with chocolate.  She was eating toast with Nutella and it was on her nose and forehead and on both arms of her jacket and all over her shirt and hands.  She came up to me and said "I need help."

I said, "The first thing you need to do is either eat that or throw it away.  She threw it away.  I said, "Now go wash your hands."

Then we got after it with wipes and wet paper towels.

I can't emphasize enough that I never know what to expect.

During the clean up job, another girl told me about the great breakfast her dad had made her with a tortilla and eggs.  She said, "You should try it."

I told her it sounded good, but I usually don't make breakfast for myself because I eat a breakfast bar.

She said, "Oh," in a knowing way.  Then said, "My neighbor is basically loaded and they have breakfast bars."

My breakfast bars are homemade, (I make a batch every weekend) so I don't know if that counts, but am I unwittingly part of an elite breakfast bracket?

We did a little math quiz.  I preempted the inevitable question of what should I do when I'm done, by telling them to sit at their desk and read quietly until everyone else was finished.  I noticed after awhile that two kids were happily reading while the math quiz sat unfinished on their desks.  "You have to finish the quiz before you can read!" I said.  

They said, "Ohhhhhhh." It's like it was their first day at school ever and they didn't know how these things work.

My ten times larger than life boy did a math problem at my desk correctly and he jumped up and did a victory dance that would rival anything done by the NFL in the end zone.  "Come and do the next one," I said.

As I was leaving for the day, I encountered two first grade boys walking in from the playground.  They  were there for Boys and Girls Club.  One of them asked, "Third grade, right?"

I said, "Yes."

He said, "You're....Mrs......"

The other boy said, "Davis."

I asked, "How do you know my name?"

He proudly pointed to my ID badge and said, "I read it!"

Is there anything more exciting than being able to read?!?  I told him he was very smart.  His classmate said, "Yeah, and I can do 2nd grade math."

I said, "What smart boys!" and they grinned their biggest jack-o-lantern missing teeth grins.

The best thing that happened all day was this note I intercepted.  I always capture notes when I see them to make sure there isn't any mean stuff going on and this note about made my day.


How lovely to apologize and forgive.  I called them both up to my desk and said, "I don't like you passing notes but I love how kind both of you are."

They shyly smiled and went back to their seats.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

That note made me cry!

Olivia Cobian said...

The note made me cry too. Everything makes me cry these days. I'm turning into our father! You're doing such a good job mentoring all these little people!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails