Pages

Thursday, November 2, 2023

The day after

A post without pink.

The day after Halloween: it's the scariest day of all.

I am not kidding when I say I had a student, an 8 year old, come in two hours late holding a cup of coffee.

And that's how Wacky Wednesday began (well a few hours after it began).

Matt announced over the speakers that he knew students had brought candy and he wanted everyone to be careful to pick up their wrappers. 

A girl turned to me and said, "He knows some of our secrets!"

I said, "It's almost like he has been a principal before."

During the day I had a lot of students tell me they were tired or they didn't feel good.  Several times I caught students just staring off into space.  During our vocabulary lesson, the word was estimate and I said that when it was a verb, you pronounce it one way and when it was a noun, you pronounce it another way.

A student said, "Bro, no one says that."

"They do," I said.  "I just did."

(Last year I had a student call me Davis like we were on the same team and this year I have one that calls me Bro.  I just go with it.)

Toward the end of the day, one girl just put her head on her desk and sobbed.

Luckily we had art last and they got to do some 3D printing which caused everyone, even the crying girl, to rally.

After school, a boy said, "I'm going to go home and eat A LOT of candy."

Oh good.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thelma, as a fellow elementary teacher I so agree that the day after Halloween is the scariest, most stressful day of the year. Teachers should start a petition to re-assign Halloween to the last Friday of October, so we will all have the weekend to recover.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails