Pages

Monday, September 14, 2026

Weekend

 I hustled home from school on Friday--leaving things undone--so we could head to Starr Valley.  We loaded the car and hit the road.

After the requisite Maverik stop, we listened to Sold a Story, which is a podcast about teaching reading and how educators got it so wrong for so long.

It is fascinating and I kept pausing it to pontificate.  I have feelings about teaching reading.

We had four little kittens bounding out to greet us when we got there.  Olivia has been feeding them there  and trying to get them acclimated to a new home.  We are thrilled to have them.  Adam is super allergic to cats and has never liked them.  He feels differently about those kittens.  (I think their potential as mousers has a lot to do with it, plus they are really cute.)

Adam talked very sweetly to them and I named them: Mattie, Ross, Little Blackie and Rooster.  I hope they live forever and have lots of babies and catch lots of mice.  Adam even took a picture of them (except illusive Little Blackie).  Who is this man?!?

from top: Rooster, Mattie and Ross

We made beds and wiped counters and waited and waited.  Our group was slow and had stopped at the Salt Flats for the experience.  I forget sometimes how wild the Salt Flats are if you haven't experienced them.  I am glad they got to enjoy.

I felt sorry that we were so late for dinner at Marianne and Robert's, but they were ever gracious. 

Marianne had made salads and Olivia had sliced up watermelon and Robert had built a fire.  We roasted hot dogs and s'mores and visited.  Our YW president, Molly, had connections to Orderville so she and Robert knew a lot of the same people.  The boys stayed with Marianne and Robert and the rest of us went back to our house.  All the girls spread out in the living room.  They had face masks (and put one on Adam, which delighted them) and were playing music and having a great time.  The adults all went to bed, which is my idea of a good time on a Friday night.

Saturday morning, Adam and I sneaked outside, trying not to wake anyone and took a little walkabout.  The kittens scampered after us.  We went to visit the horses and had to disabuse them of the idea that we had grain.  

Back at the house, people were starting to wake up.  We pulled out breakfast stuff and Robert brought the boys over.  My dad came over with his wagon and team of horses.  The kids were thrilled.  I climbed up on the seat next to my dad and a bunch of people piled in the back.  We went around the circle and it was a  good time.  We returned and traded the passengers.  My dad said, "We'll go the opposite way so the horses don't get dizzy."

One of the boys in the back said, "Wait, really?"

I said, "No.  He's joking."

After the wagon rides, Adam let anyone who wanted to have a turn driving his lawnmower.  It seemed a little like Tom Sawyer "letting" people help him paint the fence, but they didn't actually mow except one girl.

One of the leaders said to me, "Yesterday I felt like this was a long drive, but this has been so great!"

I was glad.  It is sort of a long drive, so I'm glad it felt worth it.

We got changed and before we loaded up and drove to Elko, Adam had asked me to share a little about my grandparents' house and them.

I told them the story about growing up around there and loving that spot.  I told them about the fire and my grandparents' reaction.  I said that I am sure they were sad, but to me, it just seemed like they got on with things.  I told them I was grateful for the opportunity to buy their house because I love that place so much.  I want to continue the legacy and create a place for my grandchildren to love.

More than that, I want to follow their legacy of faith.  Because of their focus on serving and living the Gospel of Jesus Christ, they knew that a house was just a house.  They taught me to rebuild rather than wallow.  They taught me that focusing on things that matter most helps you survive a world of ups and downs with equanimity.  With that, we drove to Elko.

Olivia had arranged everything and they were ready for us.  Everyone was very kind, just like you expect.  When I was growing up, if I was trying to establish who I was around there, I would start with, "My grandpa is Harvey Dahl," and people would say, "Ohhhh," and immediately know who I was.

Now I tell them that I am Marianne and Olivia's sister.  When I told the ladies handing out clothes that, they nodded knowingly and told me they loved my sisters.

A member of the temple presidency came up to me and shook my hand and said, "You look familiar, you must be Marianne's and Olivia's sister."

Happily, yes.

The youth performed their baptisms and it was a good experience for everyone.  I love being in the temple and I love those good kids who love being in the temple.

Adam and I went to Little Caesar's and got the pizza Olivia had ordered (it's not what you know, it's who you know).  We met everyone at a park.  The young women lovingly mothered and/or hounded one of the younger boys.  Molly's daughter said, "My mom will give you ten dollars if you can hit the crow in that tree with a piece of pizza crust."

Molly said, "Hey, I didn't say that, and he plays baseball.  Don't make deals like that."

The boy squarely hit the bird in the tree.  The crow barely registered the indignity, ruffling its feathers a little and stayed on its branch.

Then they encouraged the same boy to lie on the grass with a piece of pizza on his chest to see if the birds would come and eat it.

They were funny kids and I enjoyed being around them.

They headed back to Utah and Adam and I went back to Starr Valley.  Even though we hated to, because it feels early, we winterized.  Adam will be traveling a lot (big surprise) and we wanted to get it done while we could.

We drove home, finished our podcast and I was happy to see my bed.

Marianne had the idea to meet as siblings with my dad every month, so Ammon set up a google meet and I was happy to meet with them on Sunday afternoon.  Adam had an ALL DAY Sunday.  He left early and got home around 6:30 pm.  He happily walked in right when I was FaceTiming our grandchildren so he got to see their cute faces.  Always a lift for the spirits.

We took a walk and the sunset was beautiful.



Mark took Adam to the airport in the predawn and I'm about ready to head to school.

The beat goes on.




No comments: