Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Shocked and Surprised


I shouldn't be surprised.

I really shouldn't.

She's taller than all of her friends.

And some of Braeden's.

She does school work above her grade level.

And most of the time Adam and I forget that she's not the same age as Braeden...they seem like twins.

I'm never surprised when I get a year older.

But my little girl is eleven today.

And I'm astonished.


My little girl.



Once my sister Olivia said that every time Marianne or I wail and gnash our teeth over our children's behavior, that the children inherited those traits from her.

Olivia was a challenge to raise (and my parents did very well).

But I am delighted in the ways that Emma is like her aunt.

Emma is strong and funny and creative and stubborn and obstinate and kind much like my Olivia.  

Emma's talents astound me sometimes.

My inability to affect change in her resolute personality astounds me sometimes.

But she's my girl.  A piece of my heart, walking around, making me laugh, writing stories and being dramatic.



I can't believe my good fortune.


2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Happy Happy Birthday to Emma. I love the ice cream picture. I also love Emma.

Sumit said...

The pictures are really nice and Emma looks really great. All your birthday will be wonderful and better than this one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails