Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Markness

I gave Mark a haircut.  He gave me very specific instructions about how he wanted it.  A little longer on top than the sides.  He showed me with his hands.  He made sure I got it.  Then he said, "You can do the back however you want.  I can't see it."

I started cutting and realized that it was shorter than I meant it to be.  I said, "You know the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut?"

The saying goes two weeks.  He said, "A month?"

"Yeah."

I said, "I think you're getting what you paid for with his haircut."

He said, "You're not getting a tip."

Then he said, "I miss Titi."  She is the lady who used to cut his hair and she was exceedingly long suffering and patient and listened to all of Mark's long stories.

Also she did a good job on his hair and always gave him a sucker after the haircut.

Mark was having a homesick sort of day.  It's not just Titi he misses. He had lamented earlier about how he missed his friends and is sad he doesn't have more friends here. 

I told Mark he looked like his grandpa Dahl with his hair so short.  He said, "Black hair and a mustache?"

I said, "No, how he looked when he was a kid."

"How do you know what he looked like when he was a kid?"

"I've seen pictures.  Also, I was born when he was ten."

Mark looked at me sideways.

I finished his hair and Mark was shocked by all the hair on the floor.  "Am I going to have to wear a bag over my head?" he asked.  I took a picture to show him the finished product.



He shrugged and cheerfully said, "At least I don't have any friends."




1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

The glass is always half-full with Mark, isn't it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails