Pages

Monday, September 29, 2014

Whattaweekend

The highs and lows!

This is one for the record books.

Adam went on a business trip to Seattle of all places.  He left Friday.  You could taste the envy in the air around here.  The walls, ceilings, floors, they were all green with the envy going on.

I decided desperate times call for desperate distractions so we headed to Nevada.  Heading to Nevada is always a good course.

(Partway there the elements seemed to have other ideas.  We were in one of the most violent wind/thunderstorms I've ever driven in.  We persevered, Emma prayed, we survived.)

It was of course lovely, lovely, lovely.  I ate my mom's delicious food and visited with my family and took a walk through the sagebrush with my mom (and Braeden).  My dad repaired my shoes I'd brought specifically for the purpose.  Someday there might be something my dad can't fix but I doubt it.

Mark joined his cousins and uncle Robert for an 11-year-old scout campout.  It was a high point of his life.  He's a lucky boy to be one of four boy cousins roughly the same age--Lili is that same age too and she is a great refining addition to the mix. 

Saturday night we women and girls went to the General Women's Broadcast.  I sat by Olivia which is always a winning idea.  We started giggling at the beginning but then Marianne, partway down the pew gave us a big sister look that ironed us back into submission.  It was a wonderful meeting (of course it was).  I thought wistfully of my friends back in Everett at the same meeting.  I missed being with them but it was a huge consolation to be with this group:

I just wish Jennifer, Katie, Melanee and their sweet girls could have been there too...

That is what your joy being full looks like.  I love every single one of those women.  They make my heart sing.

We all trooped off to dinner (my mom's treat).  Teenagers sat on one end of the table, adults on the other and the little girls sat together and colored.  Olivia provided a good portion of the entertainment which is usually the case.

Sunday Adam went to church in our old ward.  We all felt nostalgic about that and wished we could be there too.  I sat by Olivia in Relief Society though (the others were in primary) and I sat by my dad and Enoch during Sunday School.  Church is nice sitting by tall people it turns out.  Speaking of tall people, there were so many of us on the front row in sacrament meeting, Enoch and Jennifer had to take their family to a different row.  "That's OK," Enoch said to me, "You need the leg room."  He's exactly 13 inches taller than me so I thought it was nice of him to finally acknowledge I need more leg room than he does...

After church at the behest of his cousins and then Olivia--or Ciocia as the adoring nephew calls her--Braeden sang "One Last Kiss" and recited his monologue which he's prepared for auditions which are today (fingers crossed).

I surveyed the loving and supportive group that was standing around Braeden, smiling and laughing at all the right places and I considered how lucky I am to be one of this tribe. 

My kids and I skedaddled home to Utah --which still sounds weird to our ears, home to Utah--because our stake was having a youth fireside and Elaine Dalton was speaking at it.  Elaine Dalton!  We were thrilled.  It was a terrific meeting.  I can't begin to describe it but at such times I feel a clarity of purpose and I know who I am and what matters most.  Emma wanted to meet her and my shy girl elbowed her way up to the front.  She didn't know what to say so she just hugged her.  Elaine Dalton said back to Emma, "You keep smiling!  You have a wonderful spirit about you."  Emma glowed after, she was so happy.

We all came home, grateful and euphoric and then... all hell broke loose.

Emma got a text that her accompanist for the auditions had backed out because the music was too hard (they have to provide their own accompanists here).

Then she realized that she'd forgotten her copy of the music at my parents' house.

There was weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth (Emma) and throwing hands in the air and giving up (me) and problem solving (Braeden).  He texted his accompanist, an angel girl who is as accomplished as she is generous.  (This is not the first time Braeden has saved the day for Emma and probably won't be the last.)

Claire came over and I promised her any treat in my repertoire as well as my undying love.  She could play Emma's music, no problem.  (Emma had quickly purchased another digital copy.)  She gave both kids encouragement and advice and was just generally awesome.

It was the kind of weekend that was wonderful and emotional and frustrating and terrific.

I need a nap.


2 comments:

Marianne said...

I hope you and Olivia were able to be reverent in Relief Society.

Fingers crossed for audition day!

We'll see you tonight!

Olivia Cobian said...

Thelma did shush me at least once during Relief Society.Big sisters! It was such a great weekend. I am so glad the Davsises are ever so much more accessible to us!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails