Pages

Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday Quandary


Growing up we always had (fabulous) Thanksgiving dinner at my grandma's house in Salt Lake City. We'd stay a few days and usually end up visiting my aunt as well for a haircut in her basement salon. One particular year, when we got to my aunt Mary's house she gestured us toward her hall closet in a conspiratorial way and opened it. The entire closet was full of wrapped Christmas gifts. And it was only Thanksgiving! I was dazzled. And the die was cast.

I am completely done with my Christmas shopping (and wrapping unless you count the Amazon package that is due to be delivered December 2). I am an early bird and I like being an early bird until I have my Black Friday Quandary.

Besides loving to be ready for Christmas so I can enjoy the season, I love love love saving money. I feel mildly uncomfortable when I see commercials for amazing deals and I'm not going to partake. The discomfort is compounded when I'm told that in the current economy, there will be even deeper discounts. My fingers are itching to grab my American Express card and hit the road in search of some bargains.

I don't want to go shopping today though. Maybe my mind is still clouded by tales from my childhood of people going to blows over Cabbage Patch Kid dolls. A personal goal in my life: avoid retail hysteria.

And I want to decorate for Christmas. That's a lot more fun than anything else I could think of doing today.

Time to "haul out the holly". We need a little Christmas now.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails