Pages

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Weekend Update

When we were first married and poor, Adam decided that I should cut his hair. It’s a well-known fact that I’m no good with hair. I told Adam that and he didn’t care. He told me we would save a lot of money by me learning to cut his hair.

I told Adam that my brief stint as a hair cutter had been drawn to an abrupt conclusion when my dad told Enoch that if I cut his hair again, he’d have to quit playing basketball.

I was that bad at hair cutting.

Adam still didn’t care. It’s also a well–known fact that Adam doesn’t like to spend money needlessly. My dad said Adam was one of those good Mormons that goes to town with the Ten Commandments and a $20 bill and comes home without breaking any of them.

So I started cutting Adam’s hair. I was really lousy at it. It took a long time and caused me all kinds of stress.

And Adam had some really bad haircuts. He always forgave me (sometimes I used to wish that he wasn’t so forgiving and would fire me once and for all and go get it cut by a professional).

Eventually I got better at cutting Adam’s hair (if you see Adam after a haircut and don’t agree just keep your opinion to yourself). A while ago, Adam wanted a haircut and I said, “Do you think we’ll ever reach a point where you will go somewhere to get your hair cut?” Adam looked injured. He said, “I like to have you cut my hair.” That’s when I knew…my job for life.

In October, my sister-in-law Megan, colored my hair for me. It was my first jaunt into the brave new world of hair dye. While she was doing it I wondered how anyone could possibly be coordinated enough to do it solo. Yesterday I decided that I needed to color my hair some more.
And guess who helped me?

Adam was a very good sport about it all but not all that thrilled. I told him that maybe after 14 years he would be really fast at it—like I’m faster at cutting his hair. He groaned. And said he needed to start earning a lot more money. Don’t you just love it when the shoe is on the other foot like that?

Adam asked me to cut his hair after he was done. I didn’t complain once. I think we have a very symbiotic relationship going on hair-wise.

Here’s what else we did this weekend:

--I spent all of Saturday afternoon sequestered in my bedroom with the door locked and my “Christmas in Progress Do Not Disturb” sign hung on the door. I worked as Santa’s little helper and had a lot of fun in the process. Mark was out terrorizing the streets with his gang of light saber wielders. Braeden and Adam were watching the BYU/University of Utah game at someone’s house with Direct TV and Emma, who is the most self contained person alive, was in her room, happily reading or writing or doing whatever it is she does. I love having a daughter who finds alone time as divine as I do.

--I started listening to Christmas music. I usually wait until after Thanksgiving but when your bedroom is scattered with wrappings and ribbons it’s hard to resist.

--On our date Adam and I stopped by Lowe’s and looked at tile (we are considering tiling our bathroom—a job we are in no way qualified for but hey, we do hair and we’re not qualified for that either). We also looked at toilet seats. I told Adam that’s what I want for Christmas. I’ve been coveting Janet’s toilet seats, which are svelte and designed for easier cleaning. It doesn’t get more romantic than Lowe’s on a Friday night looking at toilet seats but I’d have fun in a Turkish Prison Camp with Adam so it worked.

--Adam and Braeden came home to a lovely scene of Emma and me working on our project (we’re embroidering an advent garland with little felt pockets) and dinner was simmering on the stove. Adam and Braeden said, (not in a good way) “What is that smell?” It was dinner.

3 comments:

Melanee said...

Hooray for Christmas music! I've been listening to it now for a week or two, But only when Ammon isn't around, he is grossly opposed. I am thinking of venturing into getting my hair dyed. If we came up to visit and Ammon helped you tile, do you think Adam would help me dye my hair?

Suzanne said...

Seriously, how many times have I said it Thelma, you got ya'self some writing skills! This is a crack up. I especially like the part "we do hair... so why not tile" (but you put it more funny).

The other part I loved is the romantic toilet seat adventure. And how being in a turkish prison camp w/ Adam would still be fun.

HILARIOUS!

Olivia Cobian said...

I like your advent garland. I'd like more details.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails