Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Small and Simple Things

When I was in 5th grade my family went to Reno for a state Farm Bureau speaking contest that Marianne was competing in. We didn't stay in hotels often so it was a Big Deal that we were going to stay at Circus Circus and the girls would have their own room.

We had two queen sized beds and our own TV and bathroom. It was the very lap of luxury.

Now when I stay in hotel rooms, I don't experience the same luxury. We are at Harrison Hot Springs in B.C., Canada and staying in a nice enough hotel room. At three in the morning I was laying in bed, missing my own really big bed...having fond memories of memory foam. I was wide awake and uncomfortable and bored. Because when you're in a hotel room with your family sleeping, you can't really do anything interesting--besides sit on the cold tile floor in the bathroom and read. I know because I've done it.

I saw the dim glow of Adam's laptop and decided maybe I'd get up and read some blogs. I tried to log on but since it's Adam's work computer, I didn't know his password. I knew it was either a Finnish word or a place in London. Didn't narrow it down too much.

I sat in the dark room, bored and increasingly cranky. I listened to Adam and Braeden and Mark toss and turn. It was stuffy and miserable. I finally realized Adam wouldn't mind if I woke him up for the password. So I did. He sleepily sat up and wrapped his arms around me, sorry I couldn't sleep. Then he staggered over to his computer and punched in his password. He asked me if I minded if he turned the fan up and went back to sleep. The room became cooler. I pulled on a sweater and heard my husband and sons quiet and sleep more peacefully. I live in a family of people who love a cold room. I sat at the computer and started to think about things. Emma was next door, sleeping with Adam's parents. They are the ones that organized this little vacation and we drove here in their posh van. They bought an extra set of wireless headphones for our kids to use and new DVDs for them to watch. I was grateful for them.

I thought of Emma and how we all decided to go and kiss her goodnight before we went to sleep because she always has to kiss everyone before she can sleep. I was grateful for her.

I thought of Braeden. He drives me crazy with his first born bossiness and inserting himself in adult conversations. The flip side of that is that he's confident and assertive and clever. He's a problem solver and witty...and a really responsible babysitter. I was grateful for him.

I thought of Adam, happy to be married to a man I could wake up because I wanted on his computer. Happy he's more interested in my comfort than his own. I was grateful for him.

I heard Mark. He sleepily said, "Mom." I went to his bedside and he was sound asleep. I pushed the curls off his forehead and kissed it. He sighed deeply and snuggled into his pillow. I was grateful for him.

Sometimes in the middle of a sleepless night, it's good to be reminded that life is good and even a small hotel room can have its charms if it's full of the right sort of people.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

That's sweet, Pard. It made me a little teary.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails