Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Road Warriors

I've missed my little blog.  So much so that while I wait for this Diet Coke buzz (that kept us alive today) to wear off, I'm here for a little visit.

I have loads to say about our trip to Nevada, (are you surprised?) but for now, since my cognition is not at its peak, I'll save that for later (and for when I can put some pictures with it).

I really like road trips.

I really really like road trips with Adam.

It's just not the same without him. 

The drive to Nevada was fairly uneventful.  We listened to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Mark's first time) and also to Yellowcard (Braeden had control of the ipod). 

The drive home has been...eventful.  First, I've been sleepy.  Really sleepy.  Dangerously sleepy.  And when you're careening along with three of your favorite people and their lives are dependent on you, that's a sobering thought.

So the Diet Coke.  And then some more Diet Coke.

Then the elements, man made and otherwise were seriously plotting against us.  The only thing you can grow in Nevada in the winter is a beard and the only thing you can grow in Nevada in the summer is road construction.   It turns out Idaho and Oregon are really good at road construction too.  It was  frustrating when I was struggling to stay awake to feel so thwarted by yellow cones and reduced speed limits.

Something came along to jolt me awake though, a tremendous thunderstorm.  There was rumbling thunder and streaks of lightening.  Pelting rain, then hailstones that sounded like rocks hitting our poor van.  It was almost impossible to see the road but I was in a winding mountain pass that didn't exactly lend itself to pulling over.

And it's not like I never drive in rain.

We were hydroplaning along and I had my eye trained on the white line which was all I could see.  I turned off the Junie B. Jones audio book we were listening to and told my kids to pray.  Emma sobbed.  (We're nothing if not dramatic.)  The sun started to shine but still the sheets of rain came down making visibility only worse.  Finally, FINALLY, we outran the storm and drove under blue skies.  I unwound my clenched fingers from the steering wheel and breathed again.

And was suddenly not all that sleepy anymore.

But I surely missed my cool headed husband.  He makes everything better.  Especially thunderstorms (because he would have been driving, and unflappable).

Tonight we are in a dark hotel room, my children are all out cold.  We will be home tomorrow.  Home with Adam.

And that is a wonderful prospect.



 

1 comment:

Clarissa Johnson said...

That sounds tramatic! I'm so glad you could come and see us though.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails