Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Something's Missing


We have a new deck and I love it.  It was so exciting to watch the process of it being built, that I documented it (I'm nerdy like that).

Before:

Uninspiring, pathetic, square of aggregate concrete.  Approximately the size of The Complete Works of Jane Austen.  A hefty book, but still...


Step 1:

It was raining.  Are you shocked?  Don't be.



Step 2:

Not raining.  The builders said they understood why we wanted it partially covered.  The sun (when it's around) beats down.


Step 3, 4 and 5:

The cover.



Ta-Da!

(although it needs to be stained and painted...waiting for sunny weather)



The deck makes me happy every time I look at it.

And cranky too, because we haven't been able to use it much.

Melanie Connor for the NY Times

It's been raining with very few breaks.  I am tired of rain.  So tired.  I'm getting gloomy and disconsolate and Adam's tried to cheer me up with suggesting I take Emma shopping (it helped) and inviting us on his business trip to southeastern Washington in a few weeks.  (Will there be sun?  We're in!!!)

Saturday was sunny and I thought, I may survive this June after all.

Then, the sky was irritatingly incontinent again.

I may just do something rash.  Something bold.  I may just go somewhere.  Somewhere that starts with a Nev. And ends with an Ada.

I hear they have sun there.

I may not come back. (Except I'm not taking Adam.  So I'll come back.)

But there had BETTER be sun by then.

5 comments:

Clarissa Johnson said...

I'm so excited to see you! It is hot here though. I actually find myself wishing for rain. It's funny. I do love summer though!

Marianne said...

It is beautiful! I love it! I covet your built-in benches.

Melanee said...

The deck is amazing!! How much fun. I think we may have to go for a visit just to sit on those cute benches and to BBQ in style. Are you really coming our way? If you are I guess we'll have to plan a way to spend some time with you as well. It would be wonderful to see you!

Jennifer said...

I love the deck too. We're looking forward to seeing you.

Olivia Cobian said...

It will be lovely to have you here. I sure like your deck. Maybe you should bring it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails