Pages

Friday, July 9, 2010

If It Was A Snake I Would Have Seen It

Adam told me a story once that one of his friends (a mission companion?) told him.  This friend's little brother was looking for something.  His dad said, "It's right there in front of you.  If it was a snake it would bite you."

The son said, "If it was a snake I would have seen it."

Snakes are easy to see I guess.  Checkbooks, not so much.

I lost my checkbook.  The last time I saw it was Sunday.  And it has been driving me CRAZY.  Some people are like my sister.  Possessions ebb and flow out of her life as she loses and finds them again and she's OK with that.

Some people are like me, they become unhinged when something's missing and it nags at them like a mosquito buzzing around their head.

I looked for the checkbook.

Adam looked for the checkbook.

He talked to me about the last time I remember seeing it.

But I couldn't find it.

And I was getting more and more agitated.

Last night, when Adam tucked me into bed in our cool as a cucumber air conditioned room (my mother-in-law is officially my favorite person in the world since she gave us an air conditioner for our room), he promised me that he'd go look for the checkbook.

But it remained lost.

This morning something occurred to me as I was watering my flowers.  Something obvious.  If it had been a snake it would have bit me.

Maybe I should pray and ask for a little help.

So as I was inhaling the scents of phlox and marigolds and geraniums, I uttered a silent simple prayer.  Please help me find that checkbook.

I walked in the house and decided to look in my church bag.

There was the checkbook.

If it had been a snake it would have bit me.

3 comments:

Clarissa Johnson said...

I hate it when I lose things, but since I'm one of those lucky people who lose things all the time, I don't worry that much. I hope I will find it. That's probably not the best way to be, but anyway, I'm glad you found your checkbook.

Marianne said...

You miss much of the spice of life not being an ebb-and-flow possession person. Maybe you can work on that:)

Olivia Cobian said...

Way to pray.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails