Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I Can't Write

I have written several blog posts over the past few days and not published them because they were drivel.  I don't know what the trouble is.  I write something and then I think that's really dumb then I write something else and I think so's that.

It could be because even though I can't really swim, I am consumed by swimming.  We spend a lot of time at the pool.  I watch my kids toil back and forth.  I watch Mark and his agonizing strokes.  Painful.  He is not really ready for swim team but his senseless mother signed him up anyway.  Mostly so I wouldn't have to figure out how to keep him occupied during practice.

Last night I dreamt about the crawl stroke.

Maybe I can't write anything satisfactory because I've eaten my body weight in vanilla ice cream cones from McDonald's.  They are only $.50 each.  They're giving them away.

Perhaps it's the weather.  After pining for a little sunshine, we have record breaking heat.  That mother nature.  She can't do anything halfway.  (But I do love the sunny weather.)

Probably I can't dash off anything worthy because of our upcoming trip.  I always get the I'm-not-going-to-be-ready-in-time jitters and Adam expertly talks me down.  He's had a lot of valuable on the job training dealing with my psychosis.  More than anything, I have anxiety about the white water rafting we're going to do while we're in Yellowstone.  I agreed to go in a moment of weakness.  Later, when I realized my folly in consenting to participate, I was working through my fears with Adam's brother, Brian.  He explained it to me (in a patient fashion like Adam would...maybe it's genetic) that we'd spend the morning learning how to paddle (or do you row a raft?) and what to do if we fell out of the raft. 

Hold it right there!

On the Grizzly River Run at Disneyland (which is my heretofore experience...and it was scary enough) we didn't paddle (or do you row a raft?) and there were seatbelts.  I thought that was a good system.

What did I get myself into?  I'm a cautious person.  I have devoted my life to doing cautious things.

And I'm going white water rafting.

No wonder I can't write.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Call me if you'd like to vent or discuss the merits of white water rafting. I've gone half a dozen times and I have such a fear of water that I cannot stand driving over bridges. I can't swim a lick and could very likely drown in the bathtub. So, I was terrified. Every time. But I was also triumphant in the end when I didn't drown...

Think of the blog posts you'll be able to write when it's all over!

Melanee said...

Okay, okay. You can watch the teething terror and I'll go in your place.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails