Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Forget and Remember

What?  No more posts about Yellowstone?

You're welcome.

Here's what else I've been thinking about:  I am a simple, easy-to-please person.  Really.

There's only one thing in life that I want.  Perfection.  Is that so hard?  Is it too much to ask?

I want to be perfect and I want perfect children (because that will of course reflect on me being a perfect mother). 

Usually I forget about all of this and I feel pretty happy.

But then sometimes, I remember.  Sometimes I compare myself to other people.  Sometimes I compare my children to other children that seem better somehow.  That makes me think that their mothers must be better mothers.  It makes me pretty miserable.

It makes me ashamed, because I know better.  I know the soul-less, unavailing nature of comparing.  Nobody wins.  You either feel bad that you don't measure up or prideful that you feel superior.  You don't feel happy.

Not happy.

So what does make me happy?

Living by my own lights.  Hugging my children.  Reading to them.  Accepting my flaws.  Working on them, not so I'll be better than others, but so I'll be better than myself.

I need to forget and remember.  Forget perfection.  Remember what I saw this morning on  Hannah's blog.

Perfect timing, Hannah.  Perfect timing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails