Pages

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Time Well Spent



Sometime last winter, when it was cold and gray and rainy, I started reading books from Beverly Cleary's Ramona series to Mark.  We'd sit on the couch in the living room, underneath a blanket.  I don't know if I enjoyed the stories more or Mark's insistent snuggling.

Both were good.

When Mark saw the preview to the movie, Ramona and Beezus, he was thrilled.


He carefully remembered the date.  "We have to go," he said.  "We have to go."

So Friday, we did.  (That morning we read the final two chapters of Ramona's World to complete the series and I didn't even plan it that way.)

Adam and Braeden were away so Emma and Mark and I hit the town.

Mark was wriggling in his seat with excitement when it began.  I sidled M&Ms into his hand.  "Hold still."

Every time something in the movie happened that Mark remembered from the book, he'd turn to me with wide eyes.  He'd cover his eyes when he knew Ramona was going to get into a particular sticky situation.  He asked me if I was sad when Picky-Picky the cat died and carefully felt my face for tears.

I did feel like crying but not over Picky-Picky (poor cat).

I was just really happy to have shared something wonderful with Mark.  (And also I'm sappy and sentimental like that.)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

That story made ME so happy. We had a similar experience with Charlie & The Chocolate Factory last week. We just finished the book and borrowed the old movie from Marianne. Isaiah was so thrilled with the movie and kept turning to me with a big smile everytime his favorite parts of the book came on the movie. We'll have to read the Ramona books next. Looking forward to seeing you next week.

Olivia Cobian said...

What a lovely experience. You always were a snuggler. I am not--especially when I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant & it's really hot out. Ruben likes to put his hands and legs on me and that I cannot abide.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails