Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

But We Made It Home

Last week it was Janet's birthday.  I took her to lunch (well, she drove).  We were going to go to either the Tin Fish or The Diamond Knot.  Either one was fine with me because they're two of my favorite places.  She chose Tin Fish.  It was wonderful.

I've been wanting to go to The Diamond Knot ever since though.  Tonight Emma had her writing group in Mukilteo so we went to The Diamond Knot before.  It was great.  The Old Darby never tasted so good.  (I always get the Old Darby calzone even though I have no idea what an old darby is.)

Before leaving home, I had checked a few times on a map to make sure I knew how to get to the writing group.  I felt pretty confident.

Until I wasn't.  Had we passed it?  Where was I anyway?  Could I turn around here?  Should I?  Or was it still further down the road?

I always call Adam at times like that except, unless he was in the emergency room again, he was out of cell phone range.  Darn.

I turned around, poked around and finally, 15 minutes late, I found it.  Emma was extremely gracious and forgave me every time I apologized in those 15 minutes.  She assured me I wasn't an idiot.

For our entertainment while Emma was in her group, Mark and I had a drive-in movie.  I took my laptop and one of the best movies of all time, The Emperor's New Groove.  I must watch it at least once a year.  (I missed watching it with Braeden though...he makes it funnier somehow.)  Mark and I had a good time and he kept shivering with excitement and telling me how great it was to be together.  A lot of things are fun with Mark (except waiting in line...I think I'd rather have my teeth pulled).

Emma came back when the movie was ending.  We hit the road and right away, I couldn't turn left where I needed to.  Disaster.

It was raining and dark and before long, I was lost.  Not irrevocably lost, I am marginally familiar with the area, but still.  Lost.  When I realized I was going the complete wrong way, I turned around.  As I did so, Mark said he was "in misery".  He said, "I am thirsty."  I pulled over at the nearest McDonald's for a strawberry banana smoothie.  At the rate we were going it could be weeks before we made it home, so I figured we needed provisions. 

By the time the smoothie was gone, we were home again.  Phew.

Despite the assurances my children give me, I think I really am an idiot.  I get lost far too often.  It is demoralizing.  At times like this, I remind myself that I do have other talents:

--I can pop really loud bubbles with my gum (Mark kept having me do it during the movie and I never failed to impress him).

--I almost always know what the weather forecast is.

--I can find things that my children (and Adam) can't find.

--I can tell when bread or cake is done baking by the smell.

OK, that's all I can think of.  But I feel better all ready.  I mean, I have talent!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails