Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

Emma's Seventeen Magazine



I was telling my mom about the trials of shopping with Emma.  (Actually shopping with her I love...shopping for her is awful.)

My mom said that when she was a teenager she didn't buy anything unless it was in Seventeen Magazine.

We've been trying to find some new shoes for Emma.

Besides a few shining moments, shoes and Emma and I have had a rocky relationship her entire life.  We never like the same thing and since I'm the one with the credit card, I get the final say.

And because I don't want to buy Emma something she won't wear, she gets the final say.

See the trouble?

We've looked at several stores.  Everything I liked, Emma didn't.  I'd say, "Why?  What's wrong with these shoes?"

To which Emma would reply, "I don't know."

It was a lot of fun.

A few days ago, Emma saw some shoes she liked.  I said, in a hushed tone, "I like them too!  Could it be possible that we agree?"

Emma said, "Well...I don't like them."

"Why not?!?"

Emma shrugged.

It should be noted that Emma has many other good qualities.

When we were in Nevada, Desi had some new shoes.  I told Deseret I liked them.  Emma told me she liked them.  I felt a renewed sense of hope.

We went on a quest to find shoes like Desi's.

Desi found her gems at Kmart.  (Kudos to Desi and my deep appreciation that you didn't get your shoes at Nordstrom.)  We were going to the mall anyway and I didn't want a Kmart detour.  I convinced Emma that Sears owns Kmart so they may have the same shoes.

They didn't.

But Emma saw some that were almost identical to all the others she'd rejected.

She decided they were good.

I said, "Are they like Desi's?" (I couldn't remember anymore.)

Emma said, "Well, not exactly...but I like them."

I almost pointed out that they were essentially like all the others.  I almost pointed out that I liked the new shoes.  But then I remembered.  And I quickly bought the shoes before Emma sensed that we were agreeing on shoes.

Deseret, if you're reading this, understand the deep influence you have on Miss Emma Jayne.  Keep being the fabulous girl that you are.

There are really no other influences I'd rather have for my girl than her three sweet cousins with golden hair, blue eyes and boundless talent.

None.

(Maybe because I grew up being influenced by their stellar mother.)

2 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

Cute shoes. Ciocia likes them.

Marianne said...

I was going to say "cute shoes" to cute Emma but Olivia beat me to it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails