Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Gasp!

This has been quite a day.

Adam talked to his mom this morning and learned that his brother and sister were on the scene of a tragic accident yesterday and administered CPR for over an hour to an eleven year old girl that in the end, didn't make it.  (I'd link to one of the newspaper articles but I'm in a hotel room with poky internet access.)

I have an eleven year old daughter. 

And we've been to those same ice caves where the accident happened dozens of times.

I can't get it out of my head.

Then Adam was given a new church calling.  His heart and soul are tied to the boys he was with before.  He had tears in his eyes when he told me about the change.  My heart and soul are tied to Adam. 

(So then I had tears in my eyes.)

Speaking of Adam, he chides me for gasping.

I'm a gasper.

He gets scared when I gasp and then irritated with me when I gasp because I, say, dropped a piece of paper,.

Today, we were driving home from church and my mom's cell phone rang.  It was Olivia.  My mom gasped loudly on the phone and my heart just stopped.  Fear clutched me.  What was wrong with Olivia?!?!?!?  Every hair was standing on end.

I get now why Adam objects to me gasping.

Here's the thing with Olivia though:  she had her baby!  A tiny baby boy named Ammon.  (I'm starting to think that in our family we are frugal with names...we use them two or three times to get all the use we can out of them.) Olivia doesn't have babies easily and she's a hero.  I'm thrilled because we are on our way to Nevada and I'll get to meet the new little one when he's still a new little one (a rare treat).

I do feel bad about something though...when I talked to my poor groggy little Olivia tonight, I teased her.  She's usually sharp as a tack and would have come back at me with a zinger but she's exhausted and has had a harrowing time.

And I teased her.

I'm sorry, little sister.  I love you.  I won't tease you again until you've had at least 24 hours to recover.

(And Adam, I'll work on that gasping thing.  I think my mom shaved several years off my life.)

3 comments:

Marianne said...

Gasp! I'm glad you're local now so I can ask you these questions: were they the ice caves we visited? What happened? Which brother/sister? What is Adam's new calling?

Janet said...

Congratulations to Olivia and family! Hope Mama and baby are both doing well.

Olivia Cobian said...

I don't remember you teasing me. I think I'm still a little out of it. Maybe you can give me 24 days . . . or 24 weeks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails