Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

A Jewel In Summer's Crown



Today we skipped the last swim meet so we could go...swimming.  (We had a lot more fun than we would have at the swim meet.)

In answer to my what-should-we-do-to-soak-up-summer query, Adam's mom, Geri, suggested the river.

The River!  Of course!  Why hadn't I considered the river?  It's one of our favorite summer places and since we've been here, there and everywhere this summer, we haven't gone one time.

Until today.  At first we were going to spend the day going to the peninsula but when I thought about just how long it would all take...in the van...(Have I mentioned how much time we've clocked in that jalopy?) I felt like crying.

Plan B was the river.  Geri and cousin Raelyn joined us.  They're pictured here with Emma.


 In a rare turn of events, it was a hot enough day that even little desert rat me got into the river...for awhile...then I read.

This picture, purposefully far enough away that you can't really see me, begs the question...wow, are you really that pasty white?  Apparently so.  I look like I'm glowing I'm so white.


Since Braeden was four and Emma was two, a particular rock in the river has been known as Hippo Rock.

Hippo Rock
Do they love swimming at the river or their dear mother more?  I don't want to ask.

Adam used to swim them out to Hippo Rock like he was the fox and they were the gingerbread man.

Then he taught them to use the current to help them swim to Hippo Rock.

The natural progression in their tutelage was to dive off of Hippo Rock (I'm utterly helpless in all of this teaching except I offer up a bunch of Be Carefuls that no one seems to appreciate.)

This year all three kids were practicing their dives.

Mark was as enthusiastic as he was unstable:





Emma:




Braeden:

really...you can't tell?

And, with the grand-daddy of dives, Adam:



Adam asked me for a plastic bag for underwater pictures.  I said, "I hope it doesn't ruin the camera."  

He said, "Me too."

He seemed really concerned.


Good news!  It didn't ruin the camera.

Better news, it was a happy, happy day.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails